Where can I sell my old engagement ring without getting ripped off?

I need some cash and was hoping to sell my old engagement ring for some money. I'm afraid to bring it to a pawn shop because I'm afraid I'll get ripped off. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• There are so many jewelers or just shops that say "We buy old gold" these days...what's great is then you candrive around to several and get some different prices. Of course you won't get as much as you hope. When I sold mine about 2 years ago I only got $200 for it, but I just wanted it gone.....gold is worth a lot more these days, so if your ring is gold you have a good chance of getting a good price.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• You could sell it on e-bay or craigs list, that way you can set a minimum bid and you won't get less than that.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• If it's pretty new, you may be able to return it to the store. But pawn shops assume that jewelery is stolen and in an effort to avoid making it worth stealing keep the prices really low. If you can prove it's yours (with a receipt or an appraisal), you'll get most of what it's worth in gold and gems.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• You will likely get the best deal from a local, independent jeweler.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• pawn shops do NOT assume they are stolen. That would mean they knowingly accept stolen goods for which they can be arrested and the merchandise taken from them so they lose all around.
    Anonymous