What age do you think is too young to get married? How old were you when you got married?

I think anything younger than 18 is too young to get married. I was 20 and my hubby was 22 when we got married (almost 13 years ago).

LorisChar

Asked by LorisChar at 2:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I do think 18 is too young. I was 24 and hubby was 23 - by then we had both experienced dating others and had both traveled and finished college. We were wiser then. In two weeks, we will celebrate our 20th anniversary. :-)
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• There is no magic age. I was 19, my husband was 21. That was 25 years ago. I think we were too young and selfish and immature. We managed to stay together, but not without hurting each other a lot as we grew up. One of our daughters was 18, and her husband was 18. Same thing. They love each other but have hurt each other significantly as they are growing up.
    Anonymous

• I think anyone under the age of 25 is too young to get married. The human brain isn't even fully mature until after the age of 25 so just freaking wait people!!!! LOL!!

BTW...I was far too young to get married the first time I got married. I was only 19. So dumb on my part. I was 29 the next time I got married and it was better.
    momoftwins240

Answer by momoftwins240 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Depends on the person. I've known 35yos who were too immature to deal with the realities of adult relationships and 16yos who were excellent mothers.

It's legal in Canada to marry at 16 with a parent's signature. For fun, we used to razz our girls that we expected them to get married before they turned 17. Strangely, neither of them did...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I was 21, and I thought that was too young, now a days I would have been considered a baby for that, back 38 years ago it wasn't so.

Answer by older at 2:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I think anything under 21 is too young. If you can't run off to Vegas and do it up proper, you shouldn't be doing it. :)

I got married at 21, but I've always been old for my age. We did not get married in Vegas. We had a very traditional church wedding, 11 1/2 years ago.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Well, I find that my "too young" age keeps changing as I get older. These days I think you're still in diapers yourself if you were born before 1985, and those in diapers have no business getting married! **grin**

I was two days shy of my 30th birthday. And in all seriousness...the age isn't as important as the maturity. My mom taught me that no woman has any business getting married until she knows who she is without a man and knows how to support herself and her children without a man. She saw too many relatives get into awful marital relationships because they didn't have those capabilities.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Ive been married for almost 21 years and I got married when I was 20 and my husband was 18. I think anything 18 or over is fine. You just have to remember that marriage is WORK.
    Waiting til 25 is bull. Some of us are ready for marriage earlier than others. It is all in how you view marriage and if you view it as the next step in a relationship that you've been putting time and effort into from the start, you'll be fine.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I think anything below 26 is too young. I got married at 34.
    Anonymous

• married at 18 - divorced at 21
    married again at 22 - divorced at 26
    married again at 29 - still married at 38

So, from my experience I would say anything before mid to late 20's is too young. Of course, my best friend married at 19, and she's still married at 38, so age isn't everything.
    Anonymous