Time for whole milk?

My daughter will be one in one week (!). She's been on nutramigen since she was 3 months old (I bf prior). They thought she had milk related eczema, we've slowly tried dairy (cheese, yogurt) with no adverse reaction. I really want her to transition her, I don't think she has the allergy anymore, she hasn't had a breakout in over 6 months. How do I transition? Can I give her a taste and check for reaction? Thanks guys so much...PS. Is it normal to be emo over her first birthday? My babe is 1!!!!!!!!!!!

clransom

Asked by clransom at 2:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd ask her doctor.
    Anonymous

• You need to get advice on this from your doctor who is familiar with your child. You'll get lots of conflicting advice on here (including some that will tell you milk is bad for your child...) that wont' necessarily meet your needs. for most kids, you can switch to whole milk at 1. I just switched and stopped formula all together. That is probably not goign to be the best way in your case.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I agree with the first two posters. You can certainly try a taste and see how she reacts. The big issue is actually that they often don't LIKE it...and that's okay. The other foods you're giving have the calcium and Vit D too...you can do water if needed.

And yes,,,you're 100% normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Eczema is not a food related thing-- if your baby has true eczema it will come back again in dry seasons --like late fall-- it goes away with good skin hydration, reduced chemical irritants (like perfume soaps, laundry detergents etc) and wet weather-- milk allergies manifest thru things like nausea vomitting diarrhea mucousy diarrhea (which is intolerance) to facial rash lip swelling tongue swelling (TRUE ALLERGY then you really cant have it)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 2:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• When my daughter 1st turned one i have her whole milk and at first she didnt like whole milk either. It took her about a month to get used to the taste of it. She couldnt digest any type of formula when she was born so she is breastfed. I was worried about giving her whole milk when she turned 1 too. i was afraid her body would reject whole milk like she did formula. Now she is 18 months old and drinks whole milk regulary and still nurses 3 times a day also.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• my husband and i are firm believers in whole foods for kids, kids need that fat and as long as its healthy fat its totally fine, its not whole milk that is making kids over weight its sugar and junk food, bad fat. I dont think you need to ask your doctor, if she isnt allergic then its totally up to you what you want to do. to each their own ya know, its all about what you are comfortable with and if you are worried or have any concerns never hesitate to ask your doctor. Good luck!!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 3:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My daughter was on lactose free formula since she was an infant. For some reason the regular formula just went straight through her but when she turned 1 she adjusted to whole milk very comfortably. She is 2 now with no problems. My daughter has eczema as well and I dont think it has anything to do with food. She has a cream she uses but its comes and goes.
    I slowly transitioned by daughter to whole milk. When she was about 11 months I started with one whole milk bottle, then I changed to 2 and then eventually we went with all whole milk. I mostly wanted to make sure I used all her formula up
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I would stick with water.

Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 4:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2010