Is it safe?

I was just wondering if it is safe to deliver at 38 weeks. I know that the longer the baby is in the womb, the better for the baby. But I was a very high risk pregnancy last time. They could have lost my dd or me, or both. The induced me because of this at 37 weeks even though the amnio tap three days before showed her lungs weren't ready.
That was at 37 weeks. So what about 38 weeks? Is it safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Most consider 38 weeks officially safe however my OB has never induced me until after 40 weeks unless it was for medical reason which they did 1 time at 36 weeks for pre-e. My baby that came at 36 weeks 2 days was perfectly fine and came home 2 days later with me.
    Anonymous

• It all depends. For most babies, yes. They probably won't do an amnio b/c you're considered full term right now, but you can feel pretty good that the baby will be fine (in terms of lung development)
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• i delivered at 34 weeks because my water broke. hes perfectly healthy now. he did have e-coli from my water breaking for so long, & jawndice. he came home a week later.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My DD was born at 30 weeks-- she had some jaundice issues- but she's 5 now and doing incredibly well-- age of viability is 24 weeks (23 in some states)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 3:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I delivered all 3 boys at 38 weeks and they were just fine....With my first i was induced then because i had preeclampsia, but with the other 2 that is when i went into labor on my own. I am now 36 weeks preg with baby #4 so im waiting to see when he decides hes ready.
    Anonymous

• i delivered at 37 weeks and one day and he is perfecly healthy... we went home 2 days later
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 3:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I delivered my son at exactly 38 weeks and he went home with me two days later. However he had severe jondice and had to be admitted a couple of days later. We spent two nights in the hospital with him but every baby is different and I dont blame him being only two weeks early the cause of the jondice, some babys just have it. My aunt delivered both baby at 37 weeks and they were perfectly healthy!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I attended a birth and mom was 37 weeks to the day, baby was a little guy but went home 4 hours later, birth center norm!

Banani263

Answer by Banani263 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I delivered my son at 34wks. 7lbs 6oz. He spent a week in the nicu. My daughter was born at 35wks and was 5lbs 7oz. She was perfectly fine and went home with me. All depends on the baby. I freaked out when i found out how small she was thinking that my son was so big for 34wks that her being only 5lbs and a week later that she would have problems too. But again its all up to tje baby i guess. Everyone is different. Im 31 weeks now and alteady prepaired myself for the possiblity of another nicu visit but hoping for the best.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 5:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2010