thoughts on subway (nutrition)

here is my situation--i work full time first shift. my husband works full time 2nd shift usually. my son goes to child care 3 or 4 days per week. my husband and i work diff days

where we live, we can't go home, eat dinner, and then go to the park. it would be too late. (where we used to live we could walk to the park and it was great but where we live now, no such luck)

so i'm always so tempted to buy subway, eat real fast, then take my son to the park because i just love to take him to the park soooo much!

we can't play outside at home because we don't have a fenced in yard and the road is busy. he's 2 and i'm nervous he'll run into the street.

i did this 2 times last week! it doesn't cost a whole lot because we share a $5 foot long (lol) but i worry about the nutritional value :P at least it's not mcnuggets etc but still.

thoughts????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Order stuff from the list of low-fat selections and have it on whole grain bread.
    Anonymous

• I have subway subs or you should try the salads its very good I have dropped ten pounds doing this.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• we do get it on whole grain bread so that's good :) BUT we get cheese and mayo :(
    I also worry about the lunch meat aspect of it.

-OP
    Anonymous

• oh we also get lettuce, peppers, onions, but my son picks those off. little stinker. ;) he HATES lettuce especially. sometimes he'll leave the bell peppers on. lol

-OP
    Anonymous

• are you taking your son to the park directly after work? I really don't think eating subway twice a week is going to cause any damage. Just remember to use the whole grain bread and no sauces ( there are fat-free but they still contain colorants etc) rather ask for extra tomatoe so that your sandwich isn't dry. I eat subway with my son very often too( we also share the footlongs LOL) but usually that is inbetween his sports ( going from Karate to Baseball) and so we literally have 20-30 mins to get food and get to next destination. We also only order the turkey or chicken and I try and load as many "veggies" on there as possible. Another idea could be to spend a day making picnic dinners, particularly in the summer you could add picnic suppers to your park outings? That way you would be more in control of what you and your son are eating. ( i should take my own advice) oh yes and don't have soda! Water is better!
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 3:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• thanks takenoticenow!!!

it is right after work. i go pick him up, go to subway, go to the park. i was trying to have him eat at the park but then he just wants to eat 3 bites and run and play of course. :-)

i love the idea to make our own food to take to the park. wraps would be good to do, we both love those!

-OP
    Anonymous

• Why not pack a cooler with a picnic meal? I have a huge list of bagged meal ideas; send me a message offlist if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I LOVE subway. Used to have it all the time..but what I love about a subway is the amount of fresh vegetables I put in it. I used to have a veggie, chicken, or tuna - no mayo or no cheese. And every vegetable they offered. I would have onions, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, carrot and whatwever else they had. I LOVE sandwiches with fresh things.

I think if you are topping up with tonnes of veg and aren't have 5 different red meats or whatever then its going to be fine.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• It's much healthier than Burger King and McDonald's. Maybe not ideal, but certainly an improvement on fast food. Skip the soda, juice and chips.
    Anonymous

• I Don't mean to be a downer, but I wonder about the chemicals, nitrates in the meat?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2010