do you think (some) doctors are too quick to put people on bed rest?

i know in many cases going on bed rest is 100% the best thing to do, and i'm sure it has saved many many babies, but sometimes it seems OBs are just freaking out about the tiniest thing.

what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They have a stressful job. If they don't freak out they could be sued for much that isn't their fault. Every good ob/gyn I know has stopped delivering due to the stress of lawsuits and insurance companies telling them how to do their jobs.
    Anonymous

• if you ever had a miscarriage you would not ask that question. I would rather a dr put 100 people on bedrest who do not need it than have one woman have to go throught the loss i did
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 3:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I wish my doctor would have. He nearly killed me by not telling me how serious my condition was. He just told me that my blood pressure was a LITTLE high. That was a vast understatement! I went to the hospital a few days later with blood pressure of 190/141. I could have died because he didn't do a darn thing or tell me what was really going on.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 3:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I dont think they over analyze. Obviously if there is a question of it, then it should be done. Why take the chance? If the thought entered their mind at all that "Hey, this baby might stay in there a little longer if moms on bedrest" then why should it be questioned????
    Anonymous

• Sometimes I believe they do freak out over some tiny things but I'd rather them do that then to take it like a grain of salt and be like everything is fine, because there job is very stressful, and they see lots of women and have lots of experience from one women to the next. Where as if they didn't make us stay on bedrest, we might over excert ourselfs and then say it was there fault if something bad was to happen. Some women are tough and some aren't but just because they are tough doesn't mean the baby they are carrying can handle it.
    skylarsmommy24

Answer by skylarsmommy24 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I think the docotor would rather be safe then sorry it is better to be on bed rest even if you didn't really need it than not being on bed reast and losing the baby or having something be wrong with the baby
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 9:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2010