1 year old acting up and throwing fits

My son turned 1 about 2 weeks ago. The past 3 days he's been acting up and throwing fits. He's learned a new whine, that is like a scream/ fake cry and he throws himself on the floor. We try to put him in his crib, but he just continues this behaviour. Should we just ignor him? What should I do?
He even flipped out when we were in Wal-mart the other day.. He's only 1, but he's acting like he's already in the ''terriable two's''.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Normal!! Mine does the same. I meet his needs then put him down and ignore it. It happens no big deal.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like attention seeking behavior. Ignore it. Praise him when he behaves appropriately. At home leave the room when he acts this way. In public just let him do his thing while you simply direct traffic around him. Don't use eye contact with him at all. I've abandoned carts full of groceries to get my child back out to the car. Unfortunately while carrying a screaming child out to the car someone else called CPS and the police on me. That's why I decided to just let them tantrum on the floor while I kept people from getting too close. It gets better I promise, but it does take time.
    Anonymous

• Mine was throwing a fit the other day at a resteraunt. Pissed me off when I was taking him to the bathroom to wash his face. A woman followed me in to make sure I didn't hit him. I wasn't even thinking of that. He's still a baby, he needed his messy face washed. I say let the fit happen, they are frustrated, the world around them is changing.
    Anonymous

• it is normal....it isnt all about "the terrible 2's". Kids of any age can throw fits! your baby still can't communicate all that well, so throwing fits is the way to express emotions. I know it's not easy ignoring them especially in a public place. This is why I always make sure I have a yummy snack in my purse and make sure my son has had his nap and meal before going anywhere. Makes a huge difference! if he freaks out at home just ignore him. Let him know that no means no. You can't give in and give him that pen he wants so badly ya know? In times like that, I try to trade. My son wants to play with a pen, I take it away and give him a crayon and it usually works.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Yeah - I ignore my son when he does that. He's 16 months now and starting to learn that it just doesn't work.

Answer by missanc at 4:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2010