Obama says Afghan war is essential....?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

• I guess this would continue to perpetuate more of the same....
    Anonymous

• This is where he and I agree.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I was glad to hear a past quote from Obama highlighting what was Afghanistan's plight after the U.S. helped them drive out the Soviets (who were being real bastards). If we had stayed there and helped them re-build their homes / farms / roads / infrastructure, then corrupt thieves would not have been the only game in town, and their men would have had honorable ways to feed their families.

My son's a Marine Corps officer, and part of his training was on how to approach village elders to offer them help in repairing / building needed projects.

This Afghan "war" is as much about promoting the strength and livelihood of the people as it is about shutting down the drug lord Taliban, and freeing isolated villages from warlords who use Islam as a cover for childish ego-mania.

So, if you ever thought that helping regions get out from under criminals was important, then it seems to me acceptable to call this "war" essential.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Well, how about that, he finally got something right.

I don't get to say that very often.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Yes, it is. s. We need to root out the Taliban.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• He has been saying the same thing since 2007...why are YOU surprised?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• ... As the mother of a man IN Afghanistan, I was unspeakably. implacably. incredulously FURIOUS to see Obama fiddle while our troops burned this past summer.

McChrystal asked for 75,000 more troops in August. This was based on policy & strategy ALREADY agreed upon by Obama & his team. Yet we waited and waited and waited. ... "Obama needed to evaluate, to be conscientious, blah blah."

Meanwhile I watched as the terrorists took advantage of the pause in troop activity to strengthen their positions among victimized villages, and launch attacks previously postponed because they HAD been on the run. Previous US gains were lost.

During this week after week of ambivalence, the Pakistani "Pentagon" was actually overrun by terrorists for a couple days. They actually nearly CONTROLLED Pakistan's nuclear arms.

The delayed and reduced surge is now an uphill battle.

And why? Obama's team was appeasing anti-war idiots. Feh !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• This is probably the only area in which I will agree with Obama. As the wife of a military member I knew his pledge to bring soldiers home (from anywhere) would be an empty one.

Watch out ladies, Iran is up next. The CIA announced today that Iran is now capable of making nuclear weapons.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I think this is the third or fourth time I have agreed with the man since he was elected.. Hey elder cmr.... LOOK!!! I'm giving credit where credit is do!!!! :o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2010