OMG!!! CLINGY BABY!!! >:(

for the last 2 DAYS now i haven't been able to put my 1-month old down for literally 5 seconds without him FREAKING out! he's gotten so worked up that he actually chokes on his spit when he inhales. it's made sleeping and eating practically impossible, and i haven't showered either! WHAT DO I DO?!?!

RachelleM1986

Asked by RachelleM1986 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pick him up. They are little once. I loved holding mine all the time. Get a baby carrier.
    Anonymous

• He's only a month old. Just hold him. To shower put him in a bouncey seat right in front of the shower & talk to him while you shower. He will cry, just make it fast. My pediatrician says babies don't even recognize that they are a separate being from their mommies until they are 6 to 8 weeks old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Have you tried swaddling him?
    You could also invest in one of those wraps that work like a baby carrier. I'm having a mommy moment and can't remember their actual name.
    staceyjoy

Answer by staceyjoy at 3:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• ThrivingMom: wow, didn't know that bit about the being seperate from mommy til 6-8 weeks...good to know, thanks!
    Staceyjoy: yeah i've tried swaddling, he absolutely hates the confinement. i had that Infantino sling-rider thing that's being recalled, but i also have a Snuggli front/back carrier thing...it's just a huge hassle lol. thank you though!
    RachelleM1986

Answer by RachelleM1986 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I am all for holding your baby, but the more you give in to that the more you will regret it in the end. Try swaddling or just set up a boppy or pillow and have him next to you but not in your arms.
    Anonymous

• "I am all for holding your baby, but the more you give in to that the more you will regret it in the end." WRONG!
    Research shows that the MORE baby is held and carried in the first 6 months, the LESS they cry in the 2nd 6 months. Get a sling or a moby wrap and strap that baby to your chest. You will have a happier baby now AND later!!!
    And yes, put baby in the bouncy seat by the shower and jump in for a quick one!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Heh heh...you missed that fine print in the Mommy Contract, didn't you? **grin**

Normal behavior. Swaddle, hold when you can. I actually used to take the bassinet in the bathroom while I showered so he could see me.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Try swaddling but leave his arms and hands free. My first son didn't like to be swaddled unless he could move his arms around.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 4:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Can you not hand him off to your dh for a few minutes when he's home from work so you can shower? I'm not into baby wearing, but I held my kids an awful lot when they were little.

Answer by missanc at 4:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• You have a normal baby; you may be having issued bonding with him.

Try a sling, or other baby carrier.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2010