Not your mother's Girl Scouts of America

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/03/not_your_mothers_girl_scouts_o.html
Sharon Slater, a mother of seven, innocently walked into a panel sponsored by the Girl Scouts USA at the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women a few weeks ago. Almost immediately she was asked to leave. All non-Scout adults were kicked out of the room, which was packed with adolescent girls.

Her curiosity piqued, Slater lingered by the door and when the panel ended she went immediately back inside to look around. What she found has shocked her and shocked Girl Scout moms around the country. Slater found a stack of brochures produced by Planned Parenthood called "Healthy, Happy and Hot" that among other things explained to the girls, "Some people have sex when they have been drinking or using drugs. That is your choice."

But it gets worse.

The brochure went into great detail about it. The group then accused the mom of lying, [cont]

29again

Asked by 29again at 3:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I really wish people would be careful about attaching an incidient to an entire group. As a GS leader, I can tell you that while the program has changed to address the challenges and culture today's girls live within, it's focus is *still* age appropriate programming designed to build self-esteem, leadership skills, etc. As a former GS and as a current leader - this article is *not* indicitive of the program my troops or our sister troops in our council attend and/or offer. Please don't read one article and assume it's an across the board shift in approach and acceptable material. Ever think that perhaps this was the product of ONE presenters program and *not* a norm?
    Anonymous

• Proof?

Anonymous

• Then the group said the brochure was for another meeting previous to the GSA. I was in GSA when younger. This would NOT have been acceptable at all. What is going on, that even the GSA is promoting this kind of behavior? Is anyone else just outraged at this? If you think it is OK, why? Thanks
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• No longer being my mother's Girl Scouts could be a good thing - allowing gays to join for one thing would be great.
    Anonymous

• I have never been a fan of the girl or boy scouts.
    Anonymous

• anon, here is another article about this incident.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/18/girl-scout-sex-guide/print/
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I have nothing good to say about the girl scouts. nothing against the girls, just the people who run it.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 3:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• There are suspicious things going on. I just read an article on this recently. Heads should go up if mothers are not allowed with their daughters. I would be highly concerned and find out why.
    let me find the article I read... I was horrified ... It is written by a Christian BUT she had sources from MANY different places not just christian sources. NY Times was one of them.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I cannot find it however if you put in girls scouts sexual content brochure into google.. you will find TONS of links form MANY different sources.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• When I was in girl scouts, we learned things like how to build and light a fire, how to do first aid, how to rollerskate, how to tie knots, how to canoe, things like that. Sex was not even mentioned! I don't think the leaders even wanted us to talk to boys, let alone have a boyfriend! I always thought that being in the GSA was a good, wholesome activity. The only reason I didn't have my girls in it was the cost issue. With three, it would have been extremely expensive for us, so we did other things. Now, I am so glad that I did not allow my girls to join this organization.

I don't understand why so many parents are so willing to give up their rights to parent their children! This is happening because they (any org.) know that parents don't really care, they drop the kids off, and pick them up when it is over. What happens in between times, who cares, the kid was safe.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2010