15-yr old Phoebe Prince commited suicide in January after severe bullying from 9 of her schoolmates who are facing charges. It seems her teachers also ignored the threats against her. What do YOU think: should the teachers be convicted as well?

http://blog.beliefnet.com/roddreher/2010/03/the-lonesome-death-of-phoebe-prince.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• if it's true that the teachers knew and did nothing, they should have to take responsibility for that.
    The parents contacted the school at least twice, and some students had been suspended for bullying her in the past. The school absolutely knew about it. Oh, and in some very unshocking news. One dumbass has the audacity to make a statement to the press that her precious little snowflake (aka one of the girls arrested, and also one of the ones who had already been suspended for bullying her) would NEVER do anything like that, it wasn't her daughter's fault. In fact, it was Phoebe Prince's fault that they bullied her. Rotten parent raised a rotten kid, 10 to 1 if her waste of sperm reproduces, she'll raise another rotten kid.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Well, I haven't read the full story, but my husband is a vice principal at a middle school and he does fully believe that most bullying can be prevented by vigilant teachers. There is one teacher in particular at his school who is lazy and does not discipline or keep a close eye on kids and about 90% of the bullying takes place in this teacher's class.. He will probably be fired soon because of it. Watching out for bullying is part of a teachers job and employees who don't do their job should be fired.
    Anonymous

• I posted this yesterday on here but few people read it. I'm with you, this is shocking. Unfortunately, even though administrators didn't do their job, I believe the parents really needed to scream and yell about it or move their child. I am glad, however, that they are prosecuting these little shits for their behavior. This is why as parents we need to teach our kids to share and think about not only themselves but others. It's so important!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• The teacher wasnt the one bullying Phoebe. She wasnt one of the resons why she wanted to kill herself. If it was that mcuh of a problem then she should have went to her teacher for help. 'Now- if she did go for help, and the teacher did nothing', then she should have some part in the punnishment of Phoebes death. But I dont think she should go to jail for it.
    Anonymous

• What responsibility do the parents have in this then? Did they know? Did they bring it to the teachers attention? My kid got bullied because she was an easy mark due to a medical condition. I brought it to the schools attention and they did nothing. So I took her out and I homeschool her. I would do anything to keep my kid safe.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I forgot to say that yes, the teachers should be convicted. Everyone always feels so sorry for teachers, but as the wife of a vice principal and knowing several other administrators, most teachers are entitled and don't feel the need to do any 'extra work.' They do the job b/c they get summers off.
    Anonymous

• I dont think the teachers should be charged since they werent doing the bullying, but I certainly hope the school has a meeting or even some must-attend seminars for "how to handle bullying". This should be a wake up call! They can only do so much, but showing the students that they know whats going on and have the authority to report it can really make a difference.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• oh i didnt know there is a teacher responsible for bullying also. Thats terrible.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I believe that the teachers should get required training on how to deal with bullies! It should be something they go through once a year and a requirement for hiring as well.
    My son was bullied and thank God he had a good teacher.. the Principal not so much, he ended up being transferred. I believe yard duty personnel should also get training, I don't care if they only work 2 hrs a day.. much of the bullying happens during recess on the elementary school grounds!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Seems the DA there doesn't think the adults who were aware of what was happening to this girl are criminally negligent. I think otherwise. If ANY adult is aware of a situation in which a child may be harmed by another person and does NOTHING about it, there is criminal negligence. If this were my kid, I would be suing the school district, as well as each and every teacher, aide, administrator who knew about the bullying. Most schools these days have a policy that prohibits and punishes bullying. If this school had such a policy, they are negligent. If not, then by ALLOWING the bullying to continue is negligence. Either way, it should not have happened. Especially at SCHOOL, where they are to protect every student there. This school obviously failed in its duty to protect this poor child.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2010