My 3 and a half year old son just said to me that he wishes he was a girl. Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not at all! I wouldn't worry about it UNLESS he reaches adolescence and is STILL saying it.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Why be worried? Right now, he is a 3 yr old child. What if he persists right up untiladulthood? He will still be your child whether male or female. Just enjoy and love your child and don't let anything keep you from that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• No. I would worry if he was 7 or older because if he confided that in you, then he might be transgendered and he would have a long road ahead of him with a lot of hardships that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry about it. My nephews would tell me that "Its ok auntie you will grow up and be a boy"...lol And my SD who is 4 says that I used to be a baby boy, because she saw pics of me at 2 and I had short hair. Kids at that age have shifting views of things. I know at one point as a child I wanted to be a boy so I could pee standing up, maybe he just saw something that is usually reserved for girls and was envious. Like the PP I wouldn't worry about it.
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 4:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• my friends daughter said the exact same thing (that she was a boy) when she was about 4 or 5. I kinda found that funny because my friend was divorcing her husband because he was a cross dresser. But no I wouldnt be worried...maybe your son is jealous of a girl he knows or jealous of some things girls can have that "boys can't".....
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Worried about what?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Answered at 4:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 by: BradenIsMySon-she said it best
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• No, my son said that at that age too. He is now 9 and is very happy to be a boy!!!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Maybe he just likes what comes with being a girl - how people treat you, the toys, seeing how pretty his mom's clothes are compared to his dad's etc. I don't think it is worth worrying about at such as young age. It's probably due to what he associates with each gender.
    Awakened1

Answer by Awakened1 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Worried, no. I would watch it though. Transgender people know at a young age that they are transgender. Don't push the issue. Just keep lines of communication open. It could be a phase since kids that young believe in gender fluidity and misuse pronouns. But it could be the first signs of transgenderism.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2010