Can babies get over ear infections WITHOUT antibiotics?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes yes, just monitor. Lots of people jump on the antibiotics too quick.
    Anonymous

• Sometimes. When I've taken my son in the two times he had an ear infection, the pediatrician gave me a prescription but said to wait 2-3 days to see if he got better before I started it. One time he got over it on his own, the 2nd time he didn't and I gave him the antibiotics.

Answer by missanc at 4:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Yes they can, even if you read from Dr Sears it can.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 4:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• The body can heal itself without medicine,it just takes longer BUT! when it comes to ear infections you have to be careful if its critical enough you can actually lose hearing permanently.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I've heard many kids are over prescribed antibiotics in regards to ear infections. Check out auralgan otic for pain though.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-14782-Auralgan+Otic.aspx?drugid=14782&drugname=Auralgan%20Otic

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 4:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Yes, but I will STILL go to the DR to get it checked out.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Most ear infections are viral, not bacterial. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics

Answer by rkoloms at 4:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Try putting drops of apple cider vinegar in baby's ears

Answer by rkoloms at 4:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• It depends. You CAN try going to Whole Foods or another herbal store/market and get garlic oil drops and use those. Just ask someone and they will point you the right way (Garlic is a NATURAL antibiotic). BUT you don't want your baby to be in pain, and numbing drops help with that, too. Also, you HAVE TO watch the baby's temperature. If it gets too high she can have a seizure.

Garlic is like "miracle herb" lol... it is great for infection fighting, etc.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• They CAN go away on their own BUT if it doesn't it could have severe consequences like hearing loss not to mention the immense pain that an ear infection causes. Go to the doctor and let the doctor decide whether your child needs antibiotics or not because as a PP said doctors are laying off giving the antibiotics unless truly needed.

Anonymous