If Christianity wasn't so filled with intolerance, bigotry, etc. would you still have stopped believing in God?

If Christianity was as tolerant, fair, and accepting as it was intended it to be, would you believe in God? Or would you still be Atheist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. It wouldn't make god any more plausible. It would just make the believers more tolerable.
    Anonymous

• what a very nice question. HOwever, if you stopped believing in God because of a human being you are not really an atheist just a person who is mad at the world. HOWEVER please remember it ain't just the Christians that believe in God.
    Anonymous

• It would have no effect. It's the "magical man in the sky" part that I just can't believe.
    Anonymous

• He died for this???? :'(
    Anonymous

• Nope, I never really believed in a Christian way...even before I realized what the Christians were like.
    Anonymous

• I would still be an Atheist because the intolerance and bigotry of Christianity didn't really influence my decision to become an Atheist. What drove me into Atheism was having questions that nobody seemed to be able to answer, not even the pastors at my church. At any rate, the bible is filled with intolerance and bigotry as well, so a person wouldn't really need the intolerance and bigotry of Christianity to become an Atheist.
    Anonymous

• christians were a very small factor in my choice to demand proof of a god.
    Anonymous

• I beleive in God regardless of the intolerance, bigotry, etc.

Answer by older at 4:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Well, I'm not an atheist... I didn't stop believing in God, I stopped believing in THAT version of the Divine because it stopped making any sense at all. Even if Christianity as a whole was a tolerant, loving, compassionate, just religion, I wouldn't be Christian still. I had to give up Christianity when I realized I didn't believe any or most of the trappings of the faith. If you believe that Jesus wasn't God made flesh on Earth, that he wasn't born of a Virgin, that he didn't die for our sins to rescue us from eternal damnation, and that he wasn't resurrected to ascend to Heaven... even if you find beauty and meaning in the teachings of Christ, minus the supernatural elements constructed around his legend, there's not much point to claiming that label anymore.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I haven't stopped believing how ever it may contribute to my doing so.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2010