Muslims and Insurance

I was reading today that having any sort of insurance was considered haraam. I see many faithful individuals driving in my state (which auto insurance is the law) and wonder how this works out? Are there ways around the law? I cannot seem to find this info, but am very much interested in how this is defined and/or worked around.

Thank you!

HistoryMamaX3

Asked by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takaful

The premise is called Takaful. Some muslims believe that insurance is a bad thing to have to have, but they recognise that they need to have it. If someone is in need, then people should help. People shouldn't have to rely on insurance to assist them and it's a sad thing that they do.
    Insurance isn't banned by Islam, and there are many Islamic banking systems that offer it. But it's something that's a pity to have.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 7:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I really don't understand how having insurance could be at all wrong. I see it as if they are driving without insurance its breaking the law: it is a sin/wrong in God's eyes (Chrstian, Muslim, or any other God believing religion really). If they are driving with it, that is breaking a religious law? Interesting. Then they shouldn't drive at all. So either it isn't haraam, or it is being ignored purposefully for ease of life. Hmmm.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• From what I understand, I get the idea against insurance. It is seen as a gamble- you are paying for something that is unknown, beyond your control, in some cases... but that is precisely what I don't understand about it. In order to drive, is there a choosing of the lesser of 2 evils?

HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I knew that it was against Islamic law to carry any debt, but I didn't realize it was against Islamic law to have insurance. To me insurance isn't just a gamble for your future, you could be causing real harm to others if you don't carry insurance, especially car insurance. That's why it's the law. I'm curious about what other Muslims think about this, and how they deal with this issue.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• No offence to the very "religious" Muslims out there, but I am a Muslim and I think that if this is true in any way its really a stupid rule...I for one have never heard this tho. Some people wheather it be Muslim or whatever will take things WAYYY to seriously, we dont live in the B.C time periods, come to the 2010 era people. Also, this is America...its illegal to drive without insurance...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Thank you Piskie for the explanation. I learned something new today.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Thanks, Piskie. That clarifies things quite a lot.
    briarraindancer

Answer by briarraindancer at 2:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2010