What to do w/ my 5 year old????

My son is 5 almost 6 and is in Kindergarten. I am having problems w/ him being that he will not do anything on his own. Whether it is to play inside or outside. Its driving me crazy. I like to play w/ him don't get me wrong, but I can't get anything else done. I also have an infant to tend to as well. How do I get him to do activities on his own? If he isn't playing w/ me or daddy or w/ his friends he just wants to sit and watch TV. Can anyone help me w/ this? I have talked to other moms that are going thru the same thing w/ their 5/6 yr. old. Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh... that is a tough one. Some kids are just simply better at playing by themselves than others. Perhaps an educational video game or hand held game.... that way if you really need a moment with him occupied there will be little guilt on your part.

Anonymous

• Does he like to color, create, paint, mold clay? There are many activities that he can do on his own.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• to motherofhope98, he does like to do that stuff, however, he is more into sports and playing school which he wants more to interact w/. I try everyday to get him to play on his own and to use his imagination, its just not working.
    Anonymous

• It's not easy. We have just taken to making rules about it. It sounds harsh but boundaries must be learned and self reliance is an important thing once he gets out of kindergarten. We set times we will play and activities we will do and he is on his own from there. I would suggest finding a regular outlet like a sports team or a play group where he can find people to play with. In the end we just make him do it.
    Anonymous