The Bible contains A BUNCH OF MYTHS! Agree or disagree?

IMPORTANT: definition of myth: a written tradition, oral tradition, or other form of story that is common the beliefs of races, cultures, and religions and that presents supernatural episodes as a means of interpreting natural events in order to make more concrete or real a particular view of man or the cosmos.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Have to agree. The difference between Hercules and Samson is a little too slim for my taste. And the similarity between Ulysses and the walls of Troy comes a little too close to Joshua and the walls of Jericho. Utnapishtim's story of a great flood and a boatload of animals written thousands of years BEFORE Noah and a certain ark point to folktales and mythology. I think there is definitely some plagarism going on here. Especially as the Israelites were frequent slaves and captives to the lands where these stories originated and were notoriously uncreative.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Agreed.

Answer by older at 4:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I believe it can be taken that way. However as of now right this second I believe it is true. Though repost this in a couple days I might agree with you.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• diagree. they bible has proven historical accounts of it events. from the old testament to the new. the bible is HISTORY book not a bedtime story. through study and proper interpretation you will find that out.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• DISAGREE!! The Bible is the Word of the Lord. The WORD of God! The Bible is, was and always will be the LORD talking to us.

DISAGREE
    Anonymous

I agree totally with this. As well your definition of what myth is does not help your case...at least not for me.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• *disagree* just read my post, sorry:)
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• IMPORTANT: definition of myth: a written tradition, oral tradition, or other form of story that is common the beliefs of races, cultures, and religions and that presents supernatural episodes as a means of interpreting natural events in order to make more concrete or real a particular view of man or the cosmos

using this definition-------- disagree
    dealing47

Answer by dealing47 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Disagree... The bible DOES contain a large amount of Myth. But to define the entire content as such is historically inaccurate and ignorant. We have physical proof that a number of the stories contained in the Bible are in fact historical. Although as I said, a LARGE portion of it IS Mythology at it's best.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Some one wrote the bible. just like some one wrote the Harry Potter books. It is just another book to me.

Answer by louise2 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2010