Do you reaaly truely believe that TV 'dumbs' a child down?

Do you really believe that TV makes toddler stupid or lazy? I mean I don't know about other toddlers but mine doesn't care if the TV is on or nit. She LOVES Dora but she only sits still for it for about 10 min then she is off and running. How can having the TV on while she plays make her stupid when she is learning Spanish and colors and numbers from it? And don't accuse me od letting the TV babysit because um. no. She doesn't sit still while she watches. She is running around with a brief pause every so often to see what is going on. That's it. How does TV make a kid stupid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ok..I will answer even though I am gonna get yelled at again.

Mine has always been allowed to watch. Yes, he got to watch shows that others wouldn't approve of. Yes, he had an amazing attention span when little. He also has teasted gifted in IQ. He is 14 and still just fine, he is not even a tv addict. My child would sit through whole movies at 2 and 3. If it's used as a babysitter and no one ever talks to the kid about what they are watching, then, yes, it will hurt.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Yes. Check out the research on the subject: Even background TV can impact kids' attention

"A recent study found that TV background noise may be disruptive to children's development. The study, done at the University of Massachussett, studied 50 kids between 1 and 3 years of age. The study was done in two trials: during one, kids played for an hour while a television set played in the background; during the other, the TV set was off.

The findings? “Background TV significantly reduced toy play episode length as well as focused attention during play. Thus, background television disrupts very young children's play behavior even when they pay little overt attention to it

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I do not think so. There is a lot of educational shows on tv for children.

Answer by louise2 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• There was a mom yesterday who was asking how to make her toddler watch TV. It's questions like that that tend to give it a bad rap. My kids weren't into TV til they were around 2-2.5. They were happier running around playing. Now that they're older, I can see how some people say it dumbs kids down. It's the kids who watch it for hours and hours a day rather than playing outside that are being dumbed down.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• If you're not worried about your child then why are you asking? Who cares what others do as long as you know you're doing your best.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Bull $hit. They could do a study with 50 different kids and get totally different results. Lets face it NO 1-3 year old has an amazing attention span anyway. Tis the nature of toddlerhood. So no op. I don't believe it either. It's just another way for some parents to feel superior. And you know what? I don't care if there kid NEVER watched TV. Mine will watch. 1 hour every day and all day on the weekends. lol.
    Anonymous

• My 3 year old loves TV and hers is on all day long and she is a very smart and bright child and so is her younger sister!! So I call BS also!!! And she is always running around and playing in the house because we live in upstate NY and its cold 75% of the year
    Anonymous

• My kids never watched much tv until after age like 2 anyway because they didn't care! It was on and they are smart. My 2 year old is to smart sometimes! lol. I am gonna have to go with BS in most cases. I do not think TV unless it is like strap the kid in a high chair and make him watch for 8 hours a day is going to slow him down in any way. IMO.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• i dont believe that at all... my son is not really into tv right now but when he does start to want to watch it i dont want him to watch it all day i think it just keeps kids from outside...
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 5:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• NO - What dumbs down a child is lack of parental involvement. Don't blame the TV if you are too lazy to do anything else with your child. That's YOUR (any parents) fault. TV is fine in moderation. It's what ELSE you do with your child that COUNTS.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2010