how can i tell when my children are lying to me

a situation happend today involving my 5 year old son and my 11 year old step daughter. the two of them were playing hide and seek with a toy.. when finished, the toy was placed on the stove. my husband just wanted to know who put the toy on the stove and thats when the lying started.
my son had said he was the last one to hide the toy, and after it was found his sister took the toy and put it on the stove and said she didnt want to play anymore.
my step daughter said my son hid the toy and she did not find it, so then my son pulled it out of its hiding spot and put it on the stove.

now i know this sounds pretty rediculous, and its not that big of a deal but my husband wants to know the truth.. how do we figure out whos lying... in your opinion who do you think is lying?? im interested in hearing your answers

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would think the 5 year old was lying. At that age they don't have the common sense necessary to realize putting something on the stove is a bad idea.
    Anonymous

• In this situation. You will not find out who is lying. If you do not catch them in the lie. you will never find out.
    I would disipline them both. Because they are both fibing I bet.

Answer by louise2 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Let them know there is NO PUNISHMENT when they tell the truth. Watch your tone. If they think they are in trouble they will lie to keep from being punished. Ask then let the issue go. One of them will fess up when not on the spot.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Personally I punish both kids until someone fesses up. Then explain that lies get more people in trouble than the truth and tell them to remember that the next time they think of lying. If the truth is told up front they wont be in trouble or in less trouble than being dishonest. Good luck my son has a huge problem with story telling. I can alays tell tho cause he will look at me anywhere but my face.
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 11:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2010