Can you actually induce labor if your baby doesnt think he/she isnt ready?

Can you really induce labor via walking, sex, or whatever you chose to try if your baby or your body isnt ready? Example... Say you are 37 weeks along and totally healthy pregnancy. If you havent started dialating or amythinh yet, will these things actually help? Or how about as early as 32 weeks? Not that you want to go into labor then, but would walking or sex or being over active cause the same things to happen? Or because the baby isnt ready and your body isnt ready would these things not do anything yet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it the answer is yes for some women and no for others. I was walking when I had contractions. If I had not been walking would my baby have waited a few more hours or days? Who really knows?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• It really depends.

The general answer would be "no" because it's very difficult to force your body to go into labor and sucessfully deliver vaginally if your baby and your body are not ready.

Even medical induction will fail if your body is not close to going into labor itself.

Women should have a Bishop's score of at least 9 and preferably 12 before attempting an induction be it medical or at home remedy.

That being said things like EPO can help ripen the cervix. If the cervix becomes ripen then walking, squats, induced contractions, etc. may put you into full labor and allow for you to sucessfully give birth.

Ripening the cervix with EPO would increase the Bishop's score.

Most at home cervical ripening will not work until at least 36 weeks and full inductions are unlikely to work before 37 weeks.

But again if it works you are probably just a few days away from labor at most.
    Anonymous

• nope.

you'll just be in good shape when your body DOES go into labour.

I walked MILES and had sex MANY times with the first and second babies, and NOTHING happened - no matter what I did. and I was dialated 3-4cm for the last 6 weeks or so for each of those.

#3 was induced because I had nonproductive labour - for 6weeks. and no matter what I did nothing would get it going and actually turn it into REAL labour. walked miles, drank red raspberry leaf tea (yeah I know it only ripens the cervix), took EPO, did massages, sex....and the only way my body went into true labour was with pitocin and my water being broken.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Well i think if you are already going into labor that walking can help make you more comfortable,might actually make it faster. But those last few weeks keep in mind to do it with moderation. you don't want to go into labor and be exhausted because you kept walking the mall. AND-if you are 32 weeks and feel like you are having contractions please call your doctor....
    BonJovilover

Answer by BonJovilover at 12:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I was induced at 32 weeks for medical reasons..It went well...hard but I had been induced before and knew what to expect...
    But natural induction...I doubt it..baby will come when baby is ready in that case...(Barring medical problems)
    Just_Bethy

Answer by Just_Bethy at 10:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Most natural inductions methods will not put you into labor until your body is ready, but it can stress out your baby and your body and cause complications. There is a very low percentage of women that actually need induction for medical purposes ( baby being too big or overdue is not a medical reason nor is just being tired of being pregnant) All due dates are ESTIMATES and your baby will come when it is ready whether that is 37 weeks or 45 weeks.
    karmagl

Answer by karmagl at 2:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2010