Why is my 6 month old refusing the bottle?

I am nursing my six month old daughter. I pump while at work for her feeding for the next day at Grandma's. She has never had a problem taking a bottle. Last week I was on vacation and she didn't have a bottle. Now that she is back at Grandma's she won't take an afternoon bottle (she has cereal in the morning) but is refusing the bottle. Is she ready to give up the afternoon bottle or is she not taking it because she only nursed last week?

esrice

Asked by esrice at 6:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is she crankier than usual? (well, try to distinguish from being hungry) mine always did that at the beginnings of an ear infection. Sucking on the bottle hurt from the pressure in the ear.
    Anonymous

• Could be teething.
    YourMomma5960

Answer by YourMomma5960 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• It could be several things but you may want to try changing bottle nipples to one with a bigger hole. She may be ready for a faster flow. Either that or she may just be expressing her opinion and letting you know what she'd prefer.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I have READ that kids will adjust to mom's schedule so they can breastfeed. She may hold off and wait on you. That is just an opinion.
    mommytoangel407

Answer by mommytoangel407 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Now that she is eating solids she may not need bottles while you are gone. She may be able to eat solids while you are at work and then nurse when you are together. This is called reverse cycle feeding.

Breastfed babies don't need cereal. Cereal was invented to get iron in bottle fed babies. It is high in carbohydrates and breastfed babies don't need the carbs. The first solids usually recommended are bananas, sweet potato, and avocato. Your baby can self feed rather than be spoonfed.

www.kelllymom.com is a grate website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• No switching to faster flow...that can encourage nipple preference. It may well be that she just doesn't NEED it. Feeding should be done on demand. If she's not demanding, no sweat.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I concur about no faster flow and nipple preference issues. Do not do that.

I wouldn't fret about her refusing the bottle. Perhaps she's reverse-cycling or maybe she'd rather have a snack and wait for you so she can get it from the tap ;) Grandma can keep trying, offer a sippy cup of BM instead, or offer a snack of solids.

My son refused bottles after 7 months. He mastered a sippy at 9 months. Won't drink BM out of the sippy though.
    Anonymous

• At that age mine started to refuse bottles during the day, all he wanted was his baby foods at that age durning the day and bottle at night to go to sleep. Thats it. My doc said that as long as he was getting about 16oz of milk thats fine and he got that at night and in the early morning rest of the time he was jsut eating baby foods. It could be teething but when my son is teething he wont eat anything but a bottle.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 2:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2010