Has anyone ferberized their baby?

My pediatrician recommended getting Dr. Ferber's book and trying it for my daughter because I can only get her to sleep in her swing. Has anyone had success with this or is it a bad idea. She is 4 months and I thought that was too young for CIO. Haven't gotten the book so I don't really know the details about it.

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 7:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is bad idea because imo it does not teach the child to self sooth it teaches them, mommy won't help me when I need it. After a year, then I think it is fine, before that I think it is too harsh. If my ped suggested that I would actually go find a new ped, one that supported my parenting style.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Drs have no more training on how to get a baby to sleep than you or I have. They are just as qualified in that area than the rest of us.
    Do what YOU think is best for your baby.

For me, no way in hell I would ever let my baby CIO. Seems cruel and unnecesarry.
    Anonymous

• My 9 month old slept almost exclusively in her swing until she was 6 months old. She had no problem transitioning to a crib at that point. If baby is sleeping, and it is a safe place does it really matter that it is a swing??
    I'm not a big fan of "sleep training" in general, but 4 mo old is WAY too young!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I don't know what that method entails specifically. I did use a form of CIO at 5 mos. I let my LO CIO when we were transitioning out of a swaddle and the loss of our binkie. Do what you feel is right. It does teach them to self soothe but only if it is done right.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Sleeping in a swing is very dangerous. The baby's head is top heavy and can drop just a little and cut off the air supply. Babies die sleeping in swings. Ferber is dangerous also. Babies died using his first method and he came out with a second book. Yes, parents ignored their babies and they died.

I recommend William Sears books. He has books that are just about sleep. He is a co-sleeping advocate but he also has lots of tips for helping babies sleep alone if the parents are in a situation where they can't co-sleep or they don't want to co-sleep. I've heard him speak many times but it's been awhile. There is something about holding your baby for around 20 min after they fall asleep and watching their eyelids for cues that you can put them down. He is anti-cio.

Cio is dangerous and mean.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• We did CIO, but not until around 8 or 9 months. It only took a few days, a week at most of doing that each night. Now he goes to bed awake and is able to put himself to sleep. I'm not sure I would do it that young, but you should do whatever feels right for you and your baby. Good luck
    elwalters77

Answer by elwalters77 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• As others have said follow your instincts and if there is one thing our mother instincts are definite about it is CIO. I don't know one mother whose heart does not break and who doesn't get that natural urge to go get your child and comfort them during CIO practices. We are built with this reaction for a reason, CIO is not good for baby or anyone for that matter. At 4 months it sounds like your LO is right on track. Keep in mind ..,. the swing will not always be there for baby (she will grow out of it) so it is not habit forming or something you should worry about! She will eventually be uncomfortable in the swing and will sleep elsewhere when it is time. Definitely don't stress over this!

Anonymous

• Ferberized? No. Let him wimper and complain for a couple of minutes, yes. My oldest was and is a terror when it comes to sleep, and he is now 12. I was at a point when he was about 6 weeks old where I could not get to him when he started to cry, but it wasn't intense. In the 3 extra minutes, he was back to sleep and that was that. I tried it when his little sister was the same age - no dice. I would not let a young baby cry more than a minute or 2, unless it is just a wimper.

As for getting the baby to sleep in the crib. Take an shirt that you have worn and either use it to swaddle her or put it tight over the crib sheet, dress a stuffed animal in it. The bed will smell like you and make it more inviting.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I've never read Ferber's book so I don't know what it entails, but what we did was similar to balagan - let them fuss for a few minutes to "settle" in but never scream. We also used a small blankie I had worn under my shirt for my scent and a "heartbeat" bear that was motion/sound activated to help them sleep.

Answer by missanc at 8:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Please DO NOT buy this book! It is horrible! I suggest Dr. Sears The Sleep Book, it is very helpful.
    bamsmom2001

Answer by bamsmom2001 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2010