how do i cure my five yr old of being a really bad loser/poor sport?

it doesn't seem to matter what the game or situation, if my five yr old son is not winning, he either doesn't want to play anymore or even worse he starts to cry and throw a fit. he gets really upset and i can't figure out how to keep things fun for every one....can anyone help me? it is getting out of hand!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe he shouldn't play sports, and perhaps do music or something else like that?
    Anonymous

• I play games with my grandkids. I lose on purpose so I can SHOW THEM how to not win with grace. It's not being a loser, it's just not being the winner. For someone his age they should receive some consolation prize just for participation in group sports. In our town they get participation ribbons.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• ill keep an eye on this one.. my dd is 3 & is starting to show signs of not being good at losing.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• There are games out there that don't have a "winner" like "The Ungame". Also talk to your child about what the purpose is for a game? To have some fun with friends...and to try your best at something...no matter the outcome. Ask them if they had a temper tantrum (or gave up 1/2 way) would other's still want to play with them? And also..when you as an adult plays with them keep it low key. Ask questions like :"If I lose...should I scream and yell...or break my game to pieces because I'm so mad?" Most kids will answer "no". And, model correct behaviour for the winner ie "good try/ good game...that was fun." The more consistant this can be done...the sooner it will help. And I totally agree with the PP saying that kids EXPECT to be rewarded no matter what. Kids need to learn how to deal with dissapointment and have ways to cope while dissapointed. It's a fact of life...so let's teach them to cope instead of just win.
    Anonymous

• I don't know what to tell you... My SD is 15 & she still pouts & whines when she is losing games, even stuff like Uno. Like if we are playing Scrabble, she will try to think of a word for about 10 seconds, and if she can't get one, she doesn't starts whining & says she doesn't want to play anymore. I want to tell her to put her big girl panties on & deal with it (but I don't, of course). It is SO f-ing annoying. And she has NO idea why we don't like playing games with her anymore! I wonder why!!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 1:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Maybe you could act like he does when you are losing to show him how ridiculous it looks. Then, ask him what you could have done differently. Then, lose again and get it right. Ask him if you did better that time. Then, let him lose and try to remind him of how he suggested you should act.
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2010