Do you sit in your car while you are pumping gas?

When I fill up my car with gas I either stand by the car, wash my windshields, empty out any trash or make funny faces at my kids through the window. Today I was pumping gas and I saw two different women start pumping and then jump back in the car and sit there until it was done. So what do you do and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well it is against the law for me to pump my own gas lol so yup I sit in my car. But when i lived in California, I normally stood by my car and washed the windows. I really dont miss pumping my own gas except when i am in a hurry and the employees are short handed.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 8:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• i stand outside holding the pump thing. i have a phobia, if its not being held, then i would think that its going to overfill and spew out. so, the only reason gas would be in my car, other than me pumping if my hub. and sometimes i get out, take dd to the bathroom, clean out trash, etc while he does that.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 8:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• The gas station nearest us has a tv that automatically goes on when you start to pump.... I HATE THAT DAMNED TV. So I will clean out the car or sit in it.... anything to get away from that stupid commercial box.

Anonymous

• I've only done that when temperatures are below zero and the wind chill is really bad and I just can't take it anymore! Lol
    Anonymous

• Considering it takes less than two minutes to fill up, I wait it out, even when it's freezing (I live up north, so I do mean freezing). It can start a fire by static electricity if you get in and out of your car and the fumes catch.
    Anonymous

• I stand there and hold the handle on the nozzle because otherwise nothing would come out.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Anon 28 is on the right track. If you re-enter your vehicle, it can build up electricity and you can shock the gas pump when you remove it from the tank, thus causing a fire. The only time I get back in my car is when it's FREEEEEEZING out. I'm talking like -40. And typically I will watch the weather to see when it will be that cold so I don't have to deal with the temperature.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 8:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• NEVER GET BACK IN YOUR CAR WHILE PUMPING GAS......THE STATIC ELECTRICTY CAN CAUSE A FIRE.....PEOPLE READ THE WARING LABELS NO SMOKING 20 FEET DONT TALK ON UR PHONE OR SIT IN YOUR CAR.....
    Anonymous

• Yes I do during the winter months. I am not going to stand outside and freeze my ass off while the SLOW ASS pumps take 5 minutes to fill my car. To avoid the static shock, you simply place your bare hand on the metal hood of your car. I watched a whole documentary on this, and honestly am not worried about bursting into flames.

Anonymous

• Yeah, if it's cold I get back in. I'm not standing there in - 30 or colder temps. If it's nicer out though I'll clean my windows, check the oil or washer fluid. If you're worried about sparking and starting a fire (which has a very, very low probability of happening) then touch the door frame when getting out. You'll release any static build up before touching the pump handle.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2010