What suggestions do you have?

I'm a wife and a mother of one. I have depression issues and have had them my entire life and should be on meds. I don't have insurance to get them or to see someone. Throughout the years I've self medicated through smoking and have now reached the point where I think I need to stop. I know it's not physically addicting but I can't quit. Everytime I say it's the last time, it's not. I have a super bad day at work and find I can't cope with all the b.s. of life and need to smoke. I feel like it levels me and takes me to a place where I can breathe easily and go into the supermarket without having a panic attack. I don't know what to do. I really want to quit. I'm just having a super hard time. Does anyone have any kind of advice or is anyone going through this or has? I'm at a loss.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Health

• Well, if you know that you need to seek help, then that's the first step. Whether it's physically addicting or not, it's the mental addiction part that is the hardest to recover from. Depending on your income, a lot of cities have places that do therapy on a sliding scale fee. Don't worry about insurance, there are plenty of people that need help, you are not alone. I don't want to lecture you on your use, but it can cause you to lose your child IF you get busted...just do some research into therapy and/or outpatient treatment. I work in an inpatient facility and see plenty of people that think that smoking isn't addicting. I used to be one of those people. I personally just couldn't handle it anymore. I started getting too paranoid and thinking I was a terrible mother, even though I hardly ever did it after I had my kids. Well, if you want, you can PM me, if you need to talk. OK?
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 9:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• if this makes you feel a little better, smoking is addictive. i read years ago that nicotine is more addictive than cocaine. i heard that going through the motions of smoking can be helpful. i really don't know what to do suggest for the depression, though...you might want to try to deal with that first. i hope you get some really good suggestions here!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 31, 2010