How can I break my 21 month old from sleeping in the bed with me?

CrystalAshton

Asked by CrystalAshton at 9:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put them in their own bed and be consistant.
    Anonymous

• Wow, don't know how to help you. My daughter was in her own crib by the time she was 6 months old.

Try putting her in a crib right next to your bed. Let her sleep in the crib for naps, and let her choose where to sleep for bed. Gradually begin to put her in the crib for bed.
    Anonymous

• I am right where you are... starting to get him in his own bed is hard.. I am starting with nap time, and just laying on my bed with his mattress next to the bed and so he sees me and isn't afraid. We will see how it goes. But he won't be there forever I keep reminding myself. I am going to get him into a twin mattress soon. I think that will help. He doesn't like the toddler bed size. Maybe with one of his favorite characters as a bed set
    Anonymous

• For ideas, try reading Elizabeth Pantley's "No Cry Sleep Solution". There's both an infant and toddler/preschooler version. She also has a web site (you can find it via Google). One suggestion (which we used when we were having trouble getting our son to sleep), is put him in his bed, and say in the room with him until he falls asleep. Then gradually sit closer to the door until you can leave without difficulty. (i.e. one night sit on the floor halfway to the door, then once he's use to that, sit in the doorway, then outside. It can take time but it does work. Others will recommend crying it out which may also work.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 31, 2010