afterbirth

ok i know that after the baby comes out you have to push out the afterbirth...i want to know what the scenario is...how long after the baby comes out does the afterbirth come out? do you get your legs held back and push like with the baby? do you still have contractions, how strong? do you just rest for a minute with your baby then go back into pushing?......please just paint me a full scenario of what will happen once the baby is out

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You don't push out the afterbirth, it just come out, and you wont even notice.
    Anonymous

• with my first it was right after i had him.....no contractions but i pushed a lil to help it out and the doc pullled and pushed its kinda like having a second kid just not as bad.....my second baby was also right after and that doc pushed on my bellie hella hard and it hurt ....so it just depends on you and your doc
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 9:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• the doctor just gives it a yank,and squirt plop its out! looks like a piece of raw liver!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• idk how anon didnt notice it coming out....its nasty and you can feel it....well i did since with both kids i had no pain meds
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 9:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Your baby comes out, and more than likely you'll be so excited about just having the baby that you won't even know its coming out. You don't feel it since you just had a baby come out of your vagina and the placenta is much smaller than the baby.
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• No one should be holding your legs back for you to push whether you are delivering a baby or the placenta. That's a horrible idea. Unless you are into tearing open you entire bottom.

In natural birth, most women continue to contract for some time after the baby is born. The placenta is usually delivered within 20 minutes after the baby. This isn't active labor like baby labor. It is much smaller than the baby, has no bones, and has an open birth canal to exit. It is anti-climactic. Your uterus should continue to contract periodically for several days after you give birth, though you may not notice it at all.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• This is Anon- I didn't notice cuz I was too busy admiring my daughter.
    Anonymous

• the doctor should NOT yank it out!!!!

it really varies. it's not very much like pushing the baby out though. i wouldn't want to have anyone yanking my legs back. i just kept contracting afterwards, but i don't really remember having to push hard, it just kind of squishes out. lol. it can take quite a while but if you are in a hospital, a lot of them will want to "encourage" it to come out within 30 minutes so might give you pitocin for that. it's really "easy" though compared to the birth of the baby :)
    Anonymous

• i had to have a csection...the doctors pushed on my stomach and the afterbirth came out of my vagina. I felt it and it hurt like a mofo
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I had to push to get both of mine out. It was just a quick HARD push. My placentas were both about 2 pounds so there was no sliding out.

It did hurt a little because I was sore from giving birth and tired but it doesn't take long to get out.

Under NO circumstances should a doctor yank or pull it out. That puts you at massive risk of hemmorage.
    Anonymous