A question for co-sleepers

Did your baby have a hard time transitioning from your bed to his own at some point? From what age and until what age did your baby sleep in your bed?

I think that there are pros and cons to both co-sleeping and having them sleep in their own crib, so this isn't meant to bash anyone.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 9:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I co-slept until right around 14 months with my first. I had the most awful time switching him to his own room. He hated his crib, so we got the toddler bed. He hated his toddler bed, so we tried to move it to our room so he could sleep next to us (and transition him into his own room). He hated seeing us in our bed and HAD to touch me somehow to go to sleep. I ended up sitting in his room with him til he fell asleep every night, which took at least an hour and half.

It ended up taking nearly a year to get him to sleep through the night in his own room and go to sleep on his own. Only recently (he is 2) have I been able to go into his room, read him a story, and leave before he falls asleep.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 11:44 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My kids co-slept with us until they were 2. We made a big deal about the change and it went pretty well for all of them. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I have slept with all of mine, some went to their own beds around 2 but a few were closer to 4, a lot of it has to do with the childs personality and less to do with the co-sleeping.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I co-slept and when it was time for them to sleep in thier own beds they really didnt put up a fight. My oldest was happy(3 at the time) he said " Now you cant kick me when I sleep." LOL yeah I sleep bad.

I know that all my boys slept better when they were in the bed with me.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• my son just got his own bed at the age of 5. He is happy about it, he doesn't have to listen to my snoring anymore,lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• my first son went to his own bed at 6 months, my second was 2, my twins moved on at 1. i did struggle a bit with the twins...but we made the transition at nap time first, so sleep disruption was not an issue for everyone in the house :) for them, i let them cry it out at nap time...it took 2-3 weeks.
    if you are breastfeeding i believe co sleeping is a must :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Moved my son just before 2 yrs with no problem.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2010