Why would you interview someone if you had no job available?

I received a request today for a job interview. I went this evening, but they had no jobs available. She said something might be coming up during the summer. Why would you do that??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• I've interviewed people that look like they might be a good fit for my newsroom, even if I didn't have a job open yet. Things change quickly and I always like to have candidates in mind.. And I *was* interviewed for my first job at a newsroom that didn't have openings...but the news director created one for me.

Interviews are ALWAYS worth going on. The interview experience is always vital. And did you know that most jobs are already filled when they get advertised? Usually filled by people like you who were interviewed when there wasn't an opening yet.

Take it as a compliment, because it was. Employers don't have time to waste.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• So you can hiring someone and already have the interview part over with. They probably figure with the economy that most people that they interview will still be jobless when they have a position to fill in a couple of months. They can just call and say can you start?
    Anonymous

• Here we are required to interview every person that applies. However we have to tell them whether or not we have anything open when they come in. If they keep applications that long they might be interviewing so that when the jobs open in the summer they are all ready...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• So you can have candidates available when the position opens. My boss only hires in April but she starts interviewing in January.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 10:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• hmmm...would it be for sears?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My boss always interviews anyone she thinks might be a good employee whether we need someone right then or not. She tells me she can't pass up a really good potential employee just because they need to find a job two months before we need them. She says if she finds someone she thinks will be really good she will hire them now rather than take the chance that she won't be able to find anyone two months from now. We're a small firm, and she is always planning ahead. She sometimes interviews people when she really doesn't think we need anyone just in case the perfect person comes in at the wrong time.
    Anonymous