Am I being selfish? Long

I started planning my son's birthday party in November. His birthday is May 24th. A couple of weeks after my mom said it would be fine to have his party at their house, her and my step dad started looking into building a new house, but assured me it wouldn't be until after his party. So I find out on monday a realtor came to look at their house, they are talking to a bank tomorrow to see if they can get preapproved, and are looking at some houses this week. They are hoping to find a new one and close on it within the next month. Which means I won't be able to do his party at their current house. I am so MAD! AND I told them I wanted to get his invites ordered, but now I can't because I don't have an address to put on them! They said I could do it at their new house, but the houses they are looking at have no yard (I planned an outside party with outdoor activities). The one they are most interested in has a huge cont--

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• underground pool, so kinda a safety issue. Plus, I had a vision in my head this whole time of what I wanted. I had planned all of my decorations for their house, and now most of them won't work. Do I have the right to feel this way?

P.S-They just bought their current house 2 years ago, so it's not like they've lived there forever and need a new house. They don't.
    Anonymous

• whats wrong with our house? i mean first off i think its RIDICULOUS to begin to plan a childs bday months and months ahead of time!! birthdas are special..but wow. and its not your parents "job" to have a place to have YOUR childs bday at. your baby your home..your parents shouldnt need to be in a home they really dont want to be in JUST for YOUR child to have a party at...so YES you are being selfish.
    Anonymous

• Damn your parents for having the gall to want to move and not wait and do it around your schedule THE NERVE.

I would be peeved but not to the extent you are. Life goes on, it's not that big of a deal.
    Anonymous

• Im kind of wondering why you need 5 mo. and formal invitations....
    Is this a sweeet 16?? 18th?

Yes... I think it is horrible rude of you to be mad at your parents over your child's birthday party. If it is that formal then perhaps look into renting a hall, or a banquett room. Or... have it at YOUR home.
    Anonymous

• Rent a picnic area at a public park. That's what I always do for my DD's parties. It's SOO WORTH IT.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Have it at your house, Nov.(same as mine) is cold- so it won't be outside-your parents are doing what they want,and don't need your thoughts about them getting a house,or your blessing. Its YOUR kid-either your house,or some kid friendly place. shame they have to move before the birthday-just blew your whole year..
    Anonymous

• No, you're not being selfish. They could've waited until after the party. Not only because they already agreed to you having the party there, but they said they would wait. I think they're being selfish honestly.

You could have it at a state or local park if you can't have it at their house.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Sure, it's annoying because they not only offered but assured you that their house would be available...but that's the extent of it. It is their home and their money.

I think you are going over the top for a 1yo, but if it is that important rent someplace. Lodges (Masonic, Elk, Nights of Columbus etc.,) rent out their halls and some have grounds that you might use.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I mentioned the other day that I would just rent a place and my mom didn't the idea and said again, "oh, you can just have it at our house" So THAT'S why I'm not renting one. Not mention that --sometimes you have to rent places way in advance and seeing as how I was just told all of this, I might not be able to get a place. And there is no way I'd ever do it at our parks here. Our parks are trashy and over run by people you wouldn't want near your child's birthday party.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Why do I need invites? Because it's rude and unclassy to not invite someone with an actual invitation. I'm not a hillbilly. And no, I am not going over board. I'm having balloons, streamers, that kind of thing, and their yard has a double deck, and room enough for the barbecue we are having THAT's why I'm pissed. These new houses have no room to have a get together with grills, tables, etc and no place to put decorations. I wouldn't be upset about it if they didn't tell me when I asked MONTHS ago, that they would wait. They shouldn't have promised me that if they couldn't pull through. It was their idea to have it their house anyway, because god-forbid we do at the in-laws *eye roll*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2010