Swings...opinoins please

Okay...my 4.5 mo. old sleeps in a swing. I've tried to get him into his crib but he just can't stay asleep without the motion. (My daughter btw was in the crib at 6 weeks sleeping just fine). He's had gas and constipation issues from day one though...so my thought is that the motion just helps soothe his stomach or at least rock him back to sleep when he wakes up in the night. Anyway, the swing motor is toast as of five nights ago, so he's been sleeping in his crib. He's up every couple of hours...not to eat, just because. I have to rock him back to sleep. So, do I ride it out and hope it gets better in the crib as he needs to learn to sleep there anyway or do I go get him a cheap swing and try again in the crib in a few months. (I'm hoping that once he's on solids, the gas and constipation will work itself out). Advice please. Thanks.

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son slept in his swing alot too when he was younger. but he stopped using the swing around 6 months, maybe 7 so its up to you if you want to spend money for another few months or not. if you can afford it, u might as well but if not then ride it out.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• just get something that vibrates and stick it close to him. My son was the same way. He was very gassy, colicy, and had to sleep in his vibrating bouncy in bed with me up until he was 7 months old
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I would ride it out and get him to sleep in his crib. He will get the hang of it and start sleeping for longer periods of time and will wake up less. It is not really advisable for babies to sleep in swings there is a risk of suffocation because their heads are heavy and when they flop forward it can block their airway. So it is just better to stick it out and get him to sleep in his bed.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• i'd ride it out. you've already gotten past 5 days.. keep it going. he's going to need to learn how to sleep in his crib anyway. the longer he sleeps in a swing, the more attatched he'll get to it & the harder it will be to transition him to a crib.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 10:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I'd ride it out. For the gas/tummy issues, for us gas drops worked really really well
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Being up every 2 hours at 4 months is .. uh .. normal. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• my lil guy had gas/tummy pains real bad and MYLICON is a lifesaver! i use it with every bottle.. as for the swing.. i would try to get him used to the crib..
    bri_0110

Answer by bri_0110 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2010