My brown rice comes out watery, mushy and doesnt seem to be fully cooked. How do you make perfect brown rice?

Of course I follow the instructions. And if it has water I even let it simmer longer but it doesnt seem to help. I don't want to switch back to white rice but I can't do rice that tastes like this!

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 10:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Believe it or not soak it for 2-3 hours before. Also this washes some of the dirt out of it because brown rice is gritty. I learned this from an Indian woman ( East Indian). She was shocked to see that Americans do not soak there rice. They soak all of them even white because it makes cooking it easier and it does get some sediment out that is espeically present in most natural grain rices. Since I have done this brown rice is like a much better food. No more weird texture, residue or uneven cooking.

Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Wow! I have never heard of this! I even read the advice in my cookbooks and its not in there. Thank you so much!! I didn't want to switch back to no nutrient white rice! muah!!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I make mine in the microwave, I use 1 part rice to 1 parts water, then I nuke it for about 30 minutes, if there's still water in it, I nuke it for 10 more minutes and possibly longer if there's still water. Mine comes out great.....mushy and undercooked don't quite make sense to me. Brown rice does tend to take longer to cook than white.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• i forgot about soaking the rice first...i lived in engalnd a while back and that was written on the packages there.
    have you tried using a little less water? also, i never time mine, i just wait till the water is gone, and i make sure i start the rice at least 45 minutes before we plan on starting dinner.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I just follow the directions and it always comes out really nice...hmm, have you tried the "instant" brown rice? I use both, the instant if I'm running short on time, and it's really good, I always make the instant in the microwave.
    Anonymous

• I don't use the instant because I'm super budget conscious. Instant usually comes in smaller packaging and not as great of a deal per ounce. I'm going to try soaking though. Thanks ladies!

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010