Ear Infection- dr told me this

I took my son (15 months old and teething) into immediate care tonight b/c this is the second time in a week and a half that out of no where he was running a fever of 104. They said it was an ear infection starting in his right ear. Well I askd the dr if wind or water from his bath getting in his ears from when i rinse his hair or he splashes could be causing the ear infections and she told me no?! That his runny nose is what caused it and will cause it. Whats your opinion on this?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I think it's possible water in the ear could cause it but she's right about the runny nose because it's probably draining when he's sleeping.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Water in the ear causes swimmers ear. Ear infections are usually further down in the ear. Yes, your sinus' are all connected from ears, nose and throat...like the doctor of the same practice. So, it runs from the nose into the ear canals. Also why kids should never drink a bollte lying flat on their back.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I agree that ear infections are usually caused by something in the nasal passage, like a runny nose. It's all connected. My daughter had ear infections constantly when she was young and none of them were ever due to wind, water, etc. It actually was due to allergies we found out.

My advice - Start your son on a soy-based milk instead of cow's milk. If you research cow's milk + ear infections it is very interesting what you find. Since taking my daughter off cow's milk three years ago she hasn't had one ear infection - incredible!!
    Anonymous

• I agree with your doctor. Wind and water won't cause ear infections but, as PP points out, it can cause swimmer's ear.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Your doctor is right. We are going through the same thing right now. You will probably notice discharge from the eyes, as well.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2010