Any tips on getting my 9mth old son to sleep alone?

I know shouldn't have but I started just letting my son sleep in my bed when he was about 2mths old. And now that he's 9mth it has gotten so bad that he can't even take a nap without me holding him and he would rather sit on my lap then on the floor with his toys. When I put him down whether he's sleeping or not he instantly screams and throws a fit. At first I tried to let him cry it out but I hate to do that and it doesn't work anyway. I'm just not sure what else to do

momluvsmiles

Asked by momluvsmiles at 11:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, this is actually normal for his age ;) 9 months is prime separation anxiety time.. My son went through phases like that but he grew out of it around 11 months, very independent!

I don't think there is anything wrong with co-sleeping. I think it's natural and normal, so I don't know that I would encourage your baby to sleep apart from you yet.

However, if you are set you want him away from you, start small. Get a crib with a co-sleeper option and put the crib attached to your bed and slowly move him into it once you guys fall asleep. Keep a hand on him so he can feel you and smell you.

I would just do that. lol. He's not in your arms, he's in a bed and very very slowly you could leave your hand on him for less amounts of time til you're not touching him. Then you could sloowwllyy move the crib away.

Start this routine with the naps. Then move on to bed-time. If you go slow it won't be as hard. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• If your baby wants held, hold your baby. If your baby wants cuddled, cuddle your baby. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it ;)
    Anonymous

• i cosleeped with my son from the time he was born until about a month or two ago. hes 10 months old. i always have to rock him to sleep, and then put him in his crib. but i had to rock him to sleep even to get him to sleep in my bed with me most of the time. my mom carrys him all the time and holds him when shes around, and shes around alot, and he seems to demand that from her now, but with me hes alright. you have to just start putting him down to play alone and things like that. do you have lots of toys for him? you should get a jumper. my son LOVES his jumper, hes in the friggin thing all the time watching nick jr. i pull it up in front of the tv, put on nick jr, and he is just bouncing away watching tv. but you should trying just rocking him to sleep and then putting him in his crib, thats normal.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• There's NO reason you shouldn't have...don't let ANYONE tell you different. THe best way yto sleep is however EVERYONE gets to sleep...and co-sleeping children ALL move to their own beds in their own time. We parents need to remember that OUR timelines mean nothing...God laughs at that sort of thing.

GREAT article on drjaygordon.com on starting the transition from the family bed. Search the site for "sleep." And cut yourself slack. You've done FINE.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• i agree 100% with the first answer!
    bri_0110

Answer by bri_0110 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2010