Does anybody have a child who goes to a school that seperates the children into classrooms based on learning styles and/or academic scores?

What do you think about it? Effective or not so much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my daughters school does, and i think its a great idea!! why put kids who excel at certain things with kids that arent so great at them? it would make one set of kids bored, having to over and over the same thing, and the other set of kids feel insecure about not understanding things right away...i think its very effective
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Ours does in certain subjects, My son is very advanced compared to others in his grade level so this was wonderful for us, the only probelm we ran into was 5th grade when the school told us the didnt have the materials to teach him at a level higher than he was currently at. So they made him a teachers aide during math LOL and he was helping teach other students while keeping up with his own work. Now that he is in middle school he is still above grade level but the work is much more challenging and he loves it, he is in 6th grade doing the same work as the advanced math 7th graders.

I am now going through the same thing with my younger son but he isnt quite as far ahead as my oldest so I think we will be okay.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:18 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• yes,my son is in the autism curriculum and is in reg ed for a short while at the beginning and end of the day
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Yes - my 4th grader is in an all AG independent learning classroom which works very well for him!

Answer by missanc at 8:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• That is illegal in my state; it's called pigeonholing. That was the way education was done when I was in school though and it worked quite well. The slower kids got the attention that they needed and weren't embarrassed to ask questions because they were all about at the same level and then the faster learners weren't bored.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:34 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Yes, my daughter's school has advanced classes, regular classes and special education classes. I had her tested for special education because she was failing math and english. She keeps all regular classes except math. She has gone from a 49% to a 90% since the new nine week period. Some of the kids are calling her a sped, she use to be extremely popular in school and now she just has her real "true friends" . I told her she does not need all those other people for friends, and she knows who her real friends are. I said you will be in Junior high soon and are going to make lots of new friends as well. She is okay with it for now
    CasualCandles

Answer by CasualCandles at 10:43 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• In our school the children start changing classes in 1st grade. They are divided up randomly into home rooms, and they do science, social studies, and art with their home room classes. They are ability grouped for reading, and regrouped for math. The groupings are redone each year, and a child can be moved between groupings during the year if the parents and teachers feel a different group better suited for the student. The groupings are partially based on standardized test scores, but they also consider prior academic performance and learning style. If the parent feels a grouping to be inappropriate, the teachers will meet with the parent and explain the reasoning behind the placement, and together the group will decide if the student will remain where placed or moved to a new placement.
    The school has been doing it this way for decades, and it seems to work well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Mar. 31, 2010