How many times ...

... do you have to ask your child to go to bed before you blow up and yell at them. And as they are crying that "you are so mean" do you want to just lock them in their room? To heck with it ... I'm going to bed!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• wellllllll, my daughters only 5, so she hasnt hit that stage yet..shes NEVER complained about going to bed..she will always go to bed, but she will stay up for a while and read, or sing or talk, but she still stays in bed..lol..its actually kinda cute..sometimes i feel bad tho, like i feel like i wanna go in there and tell her she can get up and play...lol...but i dont..and i wont...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• i remember when i was that age, like 9-12, my mom would make me go to bed.. we lived with my grandma too, and i would sneak out of my bed and crawl all the way to my grandmas room where she watched tv all night, and i would lay on her floor and watch tv. lolol. i would flip and yell at him, he cant really help it, hes a kid. he doesnt understand. just try your best to be calm, nice, explain to him why he needs to go to bed. you can only do the best you can. he will get tired eventually. if anything, you should maybe tell him your going to take something away if he doesnt go to bed.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• just send him to bed at 9pm and if he's not tired then have him read a book in bed for half an hour and then say lights out. maybe a little reading will help him sleep. gl:)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I don't. My children go to bed at their bedtimes without arguement. I don't know what we did to get them to do so, but it has always been this way.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My son does that from time to time. He's 10. At 8 , I have him go take his shower and get ready for bed. Then he can go in his room,lay down and read a book until 9 then its lights out and usually he's right asleep. He still gives me grief once in awhile though.I just try to keep on the same pattern and he does better, once that pattern is knocked off kilter, forget it.
    Good Luck...I feel your pain,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:34 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• If I get any grief about going to bed at bedtime, that child gets to go to bed early the next night. If I have to tell my kids to do anything twice there is a consequence. Consequences usually work better than yelling.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:47 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My kids know that however many minutes they are late going to bed one night, they go to bed that many minutes earlier the next night. We don't have arguments about it, I don't yell at them, if they are stalling I will simply remind them that this time is coming out of tomorrow night's bedtime.

Answer by missanc at 9:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Don't let what they say get to you. They're trying to manipulate you into getting what they want. Stand your ground and let them know that if they do not go to bed, then they cannot go to Joe's party. (For example) Let them know there are consequences to what they chose to disobey.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• my kids pull it....

but they know 7pm is prayers, then bed. they try to push that limit...but we don't let them have it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My children go to bed when we say it's bedtime. Staying in bed at times is another story. My daughter lately has been doing a bit of jack in box at bedtime. She's always leaving because of this or that. We are about to lay down the law again with her. That means she will start loosing some of her toys and other privileges for disobeying.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2010