What do you say to a friend who says to you

what would yall do if you woke up, and found out that i was dead,what would yall do. sometimes i wonder if thats the best thing for me

hisblueeyes

Asked by hisblueeyes at 12:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• I would go be with him right away. Even if he doesn't want to talk right away, just be with him. Let him know you are right there for him when he is ready to talk about what is wrong. Don't brush it off!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• You observe how stable they are and discern if they are depressed or making a cavalier statement. It's a red flag to me.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:12 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• He also said he was depressed.
    What can I say to make him feel better?
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 12:12 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Let him know that you are there for him and encourage him to get professional help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• That is his way of asking for help. Men are different. That tiny phrase may be just the indication you need to get him help ASAP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My fear is that I wake up and I am dead! Your friend sounds like she needs attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Ask him outright, "Have you thought of taking your life?" if he says, "Yes." Then find out if he has the means to do it. A person who has thought of a plan and has something on hand (gun, pills, bridge....) is much more likely to do it than someone who hasn't thought that far ahead. If he sounds like he sounds like he's got plans, he is serious and you can call the police to put him in a care facility. That's serious. If you can't do that, but you really think he's in danger, make a contract with him. I know this sounds sillly, but we learned in nursing school that making a contract with a suicidal person, making them sign and promise not to harm themselves, is surprisingly effective.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Take it seriously! I had a friend that was trying to reach out although not so directly. We were all too wrapped up in ourselves to notice and on 1/3/2001 he put a bullet in his brain. Your friend needs you right now.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2010