What do you think about seperating children in classrooms based on academic scores?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• To some extent this is already happening even at the elem. level. before my oldest went on to middle school and now with my younger son in elem. they are in a classroom with kids at various levels, for reading and math all students at that grade level are seperated by level for those subjects, one teacher will teach the advanced reading and math and another takes the students who are at grade level and the other takes those who are below. All other subjects such as science, history etc are taught in their regular calssroom.

I prefer it, both of my boys would be very bored in math if they were forced to sit in a room working below their level, I also prefer that my children are challenged at school. If there is no challenge and they are not learning something new then they will get bored, it also keeps them at a advanced level which benefits them once they get to middle/high school.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:09 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• If separating them means working on what they need to focus on I say "GREAT!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Yeah basically putting smart children with smart children, average children with average children and so on...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• ideally it sounds good. every child will learn at a level that will best suit their needs. however, our schools are already pinching their pockets and coming up with lint, so it's probably not going to happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Yeah, that works, in theory, but then all the lower achieving kids get the sympathy vote, and the "Whoa is me, How are they going to improve without their smarter classmates around to encourage them, and show them that kids their age can do well." blah blah blah. Then the parents toss in that the advanced classes are getting better stuff than the lower achieving classes. What a nightmare. The only thing that really works is to make groups within the class, and allow there to be times when they all work together, and times when they work with ability groups. That way everyone loses, so nobody can complain.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• OH! And, don't forget that those test scores don't show real ability, nor are they fair. There are also kids who don't take the tests. So, where would they go. AND, AND, of course, they're culturally biased, so ability groupings would have to be based on something else.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I'm against it. I like the classrooms where kids help each other, and the kid with the least ability isn't treated like he's stupid, the kids with the best abilities learn compassion and they all work as a team instead of constant competition. I like Do Your Best policies where you celebrate the C if a kid worked his butt off for it. I like small classes where the teacher isn't just warehousing students, but gets to know each of them personally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I fully support it. I think kids need to have the opportunity to use every moment of class time learning. Smart kids really do get the short end of the stick in heterogeneous classrooms because the teacher has to go at the pace of the slower students, and, frankly, it's not in the best acedemic interest of the smart kids to be in that environment. I agree that heterogeneneous grouping can be useful, but not if we want our best and brightest to reach their full potential.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It depends on the degree with which they are separating the kids. I don't completely agree with the all inclusive method where kids on both extreme ends of the spectrum are in a regular classroom. It's hard on the teacher to have to do individual programs for kids in addition to doing the regular curriculum for the other kids. It's unfortunate when advanced kids don't get the opportunity to work above grade level and it's unfortunate when teachers have to spend too much time dealing with kids who have behavior issues along with coginitive delays.

It seems what they are doing here is including everyone in the regular classroom and giving the most difficult students educational assistants. It doesn't seem to be working because only the extreme cases seem to get EAs. The gifted cases don't seem to be getting any EA time. As always, it comes down to not enough money.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It is a great idea, it gives the ones that are interested in learning thrive.

Answer by older at 8:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2010