potty training a stubborn child?

My little girl is ready for potty training, but she's being stubborn about sitting on a potty. I've tried several approaches but nothing seems to work. I've tried cheering and potty treats. I've also tried underwear and just running in her birthday suit. Any ideas? She's going to be 3 in May and I'd like to have her mostly trained by the end of May.

jvann1

Asked by jvann1 at 12:47 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter just turned 3 and finally got it! She always woke up dry so I thought she was ready, but still had at least one accident throughout the day. Now she hasn't had an accident in a couple months. I tried everything you tried too and none of it seemed to work. I think I was focusing on it too much or too soon?? I'm not sure. Our little boy was so much quicker in learning that. I think they just eventually get it??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• OK I am going to be honest here... Just let her come to you with it. Ask her if she wants to use the potty but dont force it.. one day she will be like, ok mommy. I know it is the most frustrating thing to hear and do trust me! I starte to potty train my son when he turned 2. A little over a month after his 3RD.. yeah 3RD birthday he decided he wanted to do and and was potty trained in 2 days and was night time trained a week after that. Just let her have control over when she wants to do it. she will get there i promise! GL
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 1:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My son will be three next week and we're having similar problems. He can pee on the potty but mostly chooses not to.. Annoying.. This will sound odd but I've had more luck bringing him into the bathroom, taking off his pants/pullups then leaving. He seems to live the independence of doing it himself. I don't let him out until he's at least tried to pee. Just be careful to toddler proof your bathroom (my son thinks its funny to put the end of the toilet paper roll into the toilet then flush...). Also, you're going to make yourself nuts if you work towards a deadline. Just be persistent (taking her in every 45 minutes or so) and stay calm. I'd also stick with one method. Put her in regular underpants (put a pullup over if you're tired of the mess). I've found simple rewards (i.e. a couple of M&Ms helps).. Good luck! Just remember you aren't the only one dealing with this!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I have the same problem with my daughter. She'll be 3 in April. I have tried everything under the sun, tried 3 different potty chairs and any form of bribery you can think of lol. I decided to stop trying to force her. Like the other ladies said, she'll come to it on her own. I also left 1 potty chair in the bathroom and I have 1 in the living room. Just so she can see them and get comfortable. Lots of luck!!
    team_stewart

Answer by team_stewart at 2:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010