Car seat question

So we have a harness car seat that was in my car and dont use anymore cause we sold the car. (already have one in the truck) So i know that you shouldnt use used car seats from other people but its still a really nice one and would hate to just throw it away. but is that what i need to do? or what? lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• as long as its not passed the "expired" date and is in good shape with all working parts just sell it, I've sold my kids carseats when they got new ones
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• it's not illegal to sell used seats, but people are warned against buying them because they don't know if it has been in an accident or compromised in any way.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I kept an eye on my local freecycle and craigslist for people needing baby stuff, and ended up giving someone my used carseat that needed one really badly. You can't donate used car seats to any place like Salvation army or Goodwill, etc. They can not accept used carseats by law. So, my advice would be to personally give it to someone in need.
    MrsJacqueline

Answer by MrsJacqueline at 1:40 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I listed mine on Freecycle.com so they could get some use. But I told whoever picked them up exactly how old they were, etc. so they could make the judgement call for themselves.
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:47 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• If the seat is not expired, and has never been in an accident, and you trust the person it's coming from with the life of your child, then you can use it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Oh, I misread. Thought you were wanting to use an old seat. If the seat is not expired and has not been in an accident, it's safe for use by anyone who trusts you to tell the truth about the history of the seat. Also, straps should not have been submerged in water.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010