toddler with allergies?????

For the last few days (it's been windy) when I take her outside her nose is like a faucet and her eyes get red....as soon as we go in, she's fine!! She's 19 months, if she does have them, is there anything I can do for her?? And we're not locking ourselves inside either...she LOVES to play outside and it's been beautiful out.

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 1:34 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could just be the wind causing it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:47 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I would say if she is fine the minute that you walk in then it is the wind. If there is still a runny nose and and sneezing then it is the pollin in the air. If that is it talk to the doctor about what he thinks is the best thing for her. There are over the counter meds but you need to talk to your doctor about what he thinks is best weight wise and age wise for her.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 7:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My daughter has the same problem, only hers dont stop inside. She goes to the doctor today. Its a nonstop runny nose. And im told that clear boogies are allergies and green or yellow runny nose is a cold. My daughters are clear. I will post back when i get home later and tell you what the doctor says.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 8:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• If it only happens on windy days, it's the wind. If it happens most days, it could be allergies. If you live in the north, it's a bit early for allergies.. I disagree with the statement about the color of nasal discharge necessarily telling you what it is. In some cases it can signal a sinus infection but most times you can't tell. Clear discharge can occur both with colds and with allergies.. We've lived with both.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Hey now, im just sharing what i was told. But anyway went to the doctor and my daughter has allergies and some sinus infection that has become broncitious (sorry if the spelling is off) so that color of the boogies might not be true. Hers are clear on her face but dark green up in her nose said the doctor. For the allergies though he gave her a script for childrens claritin.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 12:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• thanks all for your input...she has an appt on Friday for something totally different but I will bring it up :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• We just had my 19 month old ds in for allergy testing for OTHER reasons, but discovered he has tree pollen allergies. It is not too early in MIchigan for allergies - dh, dd, and youngest ds are all affected by them right now. The kids get runny noses and it looks like someone popped them in the eye cuz they have dark circles under them. All allergy related. Anyhow - doc said we can give him Claritin or....something else - can't remember right now - it is in the medical file in the bedroom and dh is sleeping! But I would definitely check with doc before taking advice from all of us - your doc is the one who should make that decision.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• my daughter has been on claritin since she was 11 months old. she has BAD allergies, indoor and outdoor. the clairitin never seemed to help, just switched to zyrtec about 3 weeks ago (19 months old now) and i can already tell a great difference!! we can go outside now and she can actually enjoo9y herself
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 6:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2010