Picking at cradle cap?

I'm Obsessive Compulsive and my son has cradle cap. Everytime we're laying down I can't help but pick at his skin. Is it going to hurt him if I do that? will it make things worse?

mommyfoor

Asked by mommyfoor at 8:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not pick at it but just because I would think it would be a bit painful. You can douse his head with baby oil, let it stay on for 5 minutes or so, wash his hair with baby soap and the cradle cap will comb or brush right out.
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2008

• I'm Obsessive Compulsive too and did the exact same thing! what i did was put baby oil on my daughters head and then washed it with baby shampoo. however, on accident i left a tiny bit of oil on her hair, it wouldn't wash completely out. but this blunder actually helped ALOT. it loosened all the scales and the very next morning i could pull them off in big groups and it didnt bother her a bit. it didn't make her scalp red, she didnt even notice what i was doing half the time.
    hihowareyou22

Answer by hihowareyou22 at 9:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2008

• I do the same thing. I can't stop myself. Man it's fun! I'd be in trouble if I had cradle cap myself. No one would ever see me again because I'd be in the mirror all day. I think as long as you're gentle and not digging it off or making his head all red it's not going to hurt him. Just don't be forceful. Try not to look at it. The only way to stop is to not start at all.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2008

• yeah its not so much a good idea. my son had it hooorrriiibllle until just a week or so ago, he has tons of hair so it hid it but i had to just me consistant with using baby oil and a soft brush and it went away.. and i used head and shoulders once..that helped a little
    Danielle923B

Answer by Danielle923B at 9:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2008

• i didn't pick at it but i would use a slightly stiffer brush when I was washing her hair and scrub her little head with the hair brush and soap. I did that for a week and now if I don't use the brush in the bath she gets upset, I guess it was like a scalp massage. lol
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2008

• I picked at my son's too liek crazy lol. My pedi told me not to use any oil or anything on it, just rub at it with a wash cloth in the tub. She said its already oily and the extra oil won't help it. But some other peopel here said it helped them so *shrugs*
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 10:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2008

• it will scab and scar him, but if you want to try what we use, i use about a dime size amount of head and shoulders, and no more craddle cap. I know with OCD its hard, but for the sake of your child, you need to try very hard and ignore it on an OCD level. the head and shoulders really works too, and the new stuff makes his head smell super good. good luck
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2008

• PICK IT PICK IT, ITS FUN AND IT DOESNT HURT HIM
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2008

• Ok i agree with everone with putting baby oil on it. I put baby oil lavender, or the original one it's like baby oil gel i let it sit for a minute, then comb it right out, i also put baby powder on it right after to pick up ALL of the oil, because if you wash it there is a possibility that you can miss a spot or 2, and then he/she will still have it. NEVER leave baby oil on his/her head. and then just wash the baby powder out. it would look funny on him or her, but it helps i only it did it twice and my son NEVER got it again.
    Mama051708

Answer by Mama051708 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2008

• I always picked at my sons too, they're a lot easier to get off after a bath because they come off in big groups lol. My sons doctor told me to put Triple Ointment on the cradle cap & then put Vaseline on top of that. It worked, we got rid of it at about 7 months, you just have to be sure to put it on after EVERY bath or it'll come back. The easiest way to get it all over his head was to take a quarter size blob of it then try to rub it all over his head the best you can then just take a soft baby brush & brush the rest all over the cradle cap. We even took his comb & combed it through so the scales came off while we were putting the ointment on.

bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 1:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2008