Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he doesn't want me taking our son on vacation, but it says NOTHING about it in the joint agreement!

i want to take my son with me to Florida to see an old friend, and to have a much needed vacation. but my son's father is being ridiculous. he says he doesn't want me taking him, and that something could happen to him? and he'll take it to court. but it says nothing at all in our joint custody agreement about vacations, I OUR SON LIVES WITH ME! so, what will happen if i just take our son on vacation without his permission? can i get in trouble?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (6)
  • Depending what state you all live in you can get charged with kidnapping him. Why don't you call the lawyer that was in the court room with you when everything was set in stone.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • Does it say anywhere in the divorce papers about taking out of state? You may need to contact your family court to get permission to take him out of state.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • Let your ex watch him and enjoy some free time!

    Answer by kjfamily at 8:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • Get a free consultation with a lawyer. In my state, there is NOTHING illegal about crossing state lines with your child and it is not kidnapping, and nothing dad could do to prevent you from taking your child on a vacation. Most judges would side with you. Taking a vacation is not some really out there act. It is a perfectly normal occurance. So as long as it is not outside the law, just firmly tell dad you will be going on vacation and that he's being unreasonable to oppose his child having this fun experience of a family vacation that is a normal part of life. If he takes you to court, so be it.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 10:38 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • I would send him some kind of correspondence and make a copy of it, like an email or a certified letter, so you can prove he got it. Write where you are going, for how long, how you can be contacted. You are the primary parent. Dont take that BS. You can take your child out of state lines. Just do these things so you can prove in case he is retarded and actually fights this. You can prove he was notified. It isnt kidnapping if he is aware you are going on vacation. That guy is nuts. Dont worry. Hope it helps.

    Answer by Sillybillymel at 9:43 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • In the state i live in it's not illegal. My stepson's mom to him to Australia (out of the country) without even telling my husband and it was perfectly legal

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.