he only tells me he has to go potty when were at the store.. where there is no bathroom!

i don't understand this! my son NEVER tells me he has to go potty, unless he's naked and about to take a bath. but i've taken him shopping with me for the past 3 days, and every time he tells me he has to go potty. except there is no bathroom at the stores we're at! it's aggravating! why do you think he does this at the store? and not at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• kids love to see the bathrooms everywhere you go when they are potty training lol. My daughter did this to us and it drove me insane. she was always saying she had to go when she didnt really need to, come to find out she wanted to see if all bathrooms are the same lol. it is a phase that passes eventually.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• i would always make sure my son went to the bathroom before we left home and if there was a bathroom in the store we would stop and go...when he would cry the "i need to go potty" when we would be in a store that didnt have one i would tell him that theres not one and he better not go in his pants...Oh, and i would say it in a very mean voice. He would forget about it. For some reason kids just like to go in there...who knows why????
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Where I live all the stores have to have a public bathroom, BY LAW. Where on Earth do you live that they don't have this requirement?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I try to make sure that my kids go to the bathroom before leaving the house, but that doesn't always happen. Always ask at the store if they have a restroom (employees have to go somewhere), usually if its for a small child they will let you use the one they have tucked away for employees.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• the mall we go to is a big outdoor mall, and yes there's a bathroom, wayyy on the other side of the mall.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• There's always a bathroom, you just need to ask. Some stores have them out in the open, others keep them tucked away but obviously they're there. Our usual supermarket is happy to let customers use the facilities for example but you have to go through the stock room and up the stairs to get to them. The only time I've asked and a store has refused was at a small toy store and they were right next to a donut shop with public facilities anyway.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2010