taking my son on vacation. what should i do about the popping ears thing?

it will be my, and my sons first time on a plane in may. and everyone keeps telling me my ears are gonna pop. how do you prevent that? someone told me chewing gum helps? what about for my 3yr old son?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Give your son a piece of gum and tell him to chew on it and not to swallow it. Gum is the only thing that I know that helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I agree with the gum chewing. If he can chew gum with out swallowing it then that is the best thing. I heard that holding your nose and blowing helps but I don't know how true that is.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 3:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Chew gum or teach him to hold his nose & pop his ears. But I think it would be easier to teach him to chew gum.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:44 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Having a drink during takeoff also helps. When I flew with DD (when she was an infant) my mom told me to be sure and feed her during takeoff because it does the same thing as chewing gum. But, neither of my kids have ever had a problem popping their ears during a flight, I don't even think I taught them how, it just came naturally. Have a great vacation!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Anything that makes him swallow will help his ears pop. Lollipops, hard candy, juice - anything like that will work. From what I've been told by our MD, gum is recommended most frequently because you swallow most often with it - but, other things work as well.

There is also a chance that he won't have a problem with his ears. My middle one never had any problem the few times she has been on a plane.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I recently flew round trip with my 16 month old daughter and she didn't seem uncomfortable at all. Your son might not get that, I know yawning helps too. That's what I usually do when I need my ears to pop lol.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 11:59 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I always took dum dum lollipops for my real young ones. Gum also works and you can practice with it at home. Also, small frequent sips from his sippy may help as well. Anything that is going to have the swallowing will help.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• It's not the gum, per se. It's the chewing and sucking action that helps clear your ears. When my kids were too young for gum we used lollipops, fruit snacks, and drinks through a straw.

I have a lot of trouble with my ears when I fly (mainly when we start our descent.) I typically take a dose of a decongestant about an hour before we land. For me, personally, it makes a HUGE difference. That said, I don't like to medicate the kids just for the flight. My DD has food allergies so she does take a precautionary dose of benedryl before getting on a plane.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• earplanes. get them at a drugstore
    chickensmommy

Answer by chickensmommy at 3:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Well as you can see gum is the winner. My mom would give us bubblicious because of it's thickness. But becarefulspening on the age of the child a big blow pop would be better because it stretches the jaw muscles and works the ears too.
    ( I always swallowed my gum, drove my mom crazy and scared her senseless) I'm still here though.
    godsbabygir

Answer by godsbabygir at 4:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2010