Black women least likely to breast-feed in US

http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=637407

Have you seen this? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I tried and tired to breastfeed my kids. I know each time I could not I cried like a baby because I felt I had failed them. As far as support no one in my family thought os was a good idea. My mom thought it was horrendous and disgusting. She said if I were gonna breastfeed i could NOT do it in her house.
    I think it has to do with lack of education. I know I heard over and over that breastfeeding your child is the best thing for him/her. But thats it. I had to do the research on my own as to WHY it was best. And although I was at a top notch hospital when I gave birth, no matter how many times I asked for helping with proper latching and so forth I did not recieve that help, and it starts with the basics. How can you breastfeed properly without the know how to do so.

I honestly believe that more and more moms would ( or would at least try) if they had the proper education.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• This is true.:( Most that I know are turned off by the idea. I was given much grief and very little support from my family while nursing my children.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I agree with Lexylex. Most black people don't think highly of breastfeeding a child. I wasn't breastfed, nor was anyone i know in my family. I did breastfeed my children because i researched the benefits of breast milk for babies. Its weird because Africans breastfeed their babies yet African Americans have such negative views on the subject lol. I think it all has to do with lack of education on breastfeeding, laziness and simply not caring enough to do whats best for their child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I think it's true. When I went to the WIC office, I would usually be both one of the only white people there at any given time and one of the only breastfeeding moms. Even the food counselor said that there are less people who breastfeed on the program than those who formula feed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Why breastfeed when your getting the formula for free? Not trying to be a bit@h I'm just sayin. You gotta look at the numbers of those receiving pa.
    Anonymous