What should I do?

My one year old was sleeping in our room and when he woke up we would just lay him in our bed (I know, big mistake) I really want him to start sleeping in his own room but he just constantly cries and screams when he wakes up. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go in and comfort him(change his diaper whatever don't take him out of his bed) and leave him in his room it will not work the first few nights and you will lose sleep but he needs to learn how to put himself back to sleep. It took us about a week and our DD was waking up and she would put herself back to sleep. The trick is to put him to bed at night sleepy but awake. GL and just be patient. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• He's screaming because you aren't there! At 12 months he doesn't really understand when he can't see you, you haven't totally evaporated. So there are things you can do, put him in his room & let him Cry it out - it takes nerves of steel & earmuffs & after a few nights or weeks he will get used to the fact that you aren't there.You will find many Moms here advocate it & many who think it is cruel, I'm of the second opinion but he's yours not mine. You can keep his crib in your room, put it up close to your side of the bed & when he stirs, you can reach in & comfort him, this is often a softer way to get him used to the idea that he stays in his bed. You can continue what you are doing - the fact is he will only be this tiny for a very short space of time, & as one Mom said yesterday, no Mom ever goes to college with her grown child, because they won't sleep on their own. Try to see it as a special time, rather than a chore
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Put him in his room. Get up when he needs you, change his diaper, etc. If you need to let him cry it out, that's fine, just check on him periodically. I don't think it's cruel because what he will be learning is that just because he doesn't see you doesn't mean you aren't there. He will learn that it is possible to comfort himself when you aren't there. He will develop self-confidence. Be firm with him in a quiet way, and he will eventually get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Comfort him, and keep him in his bed.

Find something he really likes and let him sleep with it. Sometimes they miss your warmth. My kids did it for a while, crying and screaming. Eventually, they stayed in bed. If they realize it won't work, they won't do it anymore. It will take about a week or two of exaustion but in the end it pays off.

I did use a reward system. A sticker in the morning if they stayed in bed, eventually no stickers and they are big kids.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• wow, i feel like a pushover after reading all these replies! lol my daughter is 19 months and sleeps with us. she slept in her own bed until 9 months, then she became very sick and i needed her next to us to monitor her breathing and temperature at night. well, that was the end of it, no more crib for her!! lol. i agree, she will not be this young forever and one day (usually around 3) they decide its "cool" to sleep on their own. trust me, they do outgrow it, and if its not soon enough for you, the rest of the advice here is sound. just depends on if you can handle it, not the baby.
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 6:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2010