Pregnancy and Masturbation (might be tmi)

So, like most pregnant women I have a higher sex drive. Problem is, I don't want sex, I want to masturbate...mainly because my SO and my bellies bump together and hurts me. When I have an orgasm with my SO they're good, but not really intense; however, when I have an orgasm by myself they're almost painful. I get cramping right above my hips. It hurts. My doctor said it's fine to have an orgasm but the cramps hurt so bad, I'm convinced it hurts the baby. Thanks in advance. Is this normal?

Oh, and I'm 16 weeks along.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Totally normal. When I was pregnant, I would get the most miserable cramps after an orgasm. It happens after every orgasm, not just when you're pregnant, but because you have a baby taking up room, it manifests as cramps.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Orgasms cause your uterus to contract, that's why when you are further along they say to have sex to try to start labor. That's probably what you are feeling. It's just like a a braxton hicks contraction to the baby, it might be a little uncomfortable but it doesn't hurt your baby at all. Maybe try different positions with your SO, like lay on your back and have him lay so that you two make a "t" with your legs draped over him (if that makes sense) or you on your side so that he isn't bumping your tummy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It won't hurt the baby, but if you are high risk for pre-term labor, you won't want to start your uterus contracting like that. I once contracted so much afterwards, that I accidentally pee'd. I HATED that and I think I pretty much stopped after that happened!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• OMG I have the same thing except I get a sharp pain that goes all through my back when I materbate. I dont get it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2010