Diaper Rash? Possible TMI

My 13 month old is no stranger to diaper rash, but this time around, it's so severe that she has open wounds. I've never seen this before and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should take her to the doctor, or just find a way to treat her poor little tushy on my own. Have any of you ever gone through this? What have you done?

MomToovey

Asked by MomToovey at 8:18 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would try treating it on your own first with an easy combo of three things. Mix together thick desitin (not just normal desitin, there is a difference) hydrocortisone cream and lotramin. The desitin will coat the bottom, the hydrocortisone will soothe it and the lotramin will treat the rash. I mix them in a baggy and cut the corner off and use it about 3 times a day on the bottom and no matter how bad the rash is (my son has had open, bloody sores numerous times) its usually gone within 24 hours. There is a medicated diaper ointment, nystatin, but all it is is an anti-fungal and I swear by lotramin over nystatin. If you do that and there isnt a drastic change within about 24 hours then I would call the doctor
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Yes I have after a round of Augmentin, my girl had the same kind. There are a few steps involved but it WORKED which was better than my baby screaming everytime I took her diaper off. I will email you the process...
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 8:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• my girls were always getting diaper rash (they had/have food allergies... poor little bums.) what worked for us, FINALLY, was using exlax and cornstarch. the rash was gone after 2 uses... and letting them air out for a few minutes after they peed or pooed.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:05 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I actually aired out my babies butt, and destine. No diaper, she ran around naked with a t-shirt.

If it is really bad, I would see the doctor though, because they might prescribe some stronger medicine.

Unfortunately the day care my daughter went to one day-I pulled her out immediatly, didn't change the diaper it seems to be all day because she was not a rashy baby. My other daughter was, needed to be changed more.
    Good luck!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I think I would take her to the doctor,,it sounds pretty painful and they might have some soothing medicine,,does she have food allergies? Butt Paste was a miracle for us--you also didn't mention if you used disposable or cloth diapers? Sometimes they can have a reaction to the diapers have you tried changing brands? I am also a big fan of the airing out process, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Aquafor works well. Is she eating or drinking acidic foods like apples or apple juice? I couldn't give my oldest any applejuice because she would break out down there.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2010