Is he self weening?

My 10 month old is extremely active. He won't take a nap anymore until he's just completely worn out and crashes. He has a very healthy appitite since about the middle of 9 months. He gets up and has breakfast @ 8 am then wants a snack at 1030, lunch at 1, snack at 3:30, dinner at 5 and sometimes my husband gives him a snack at 7 while I'm at work. That's his solid food schedule. With BF he has milk at 5am, then maybe at 2( this more like "I'm thirsty")Then not again until 9:30 when I come home from work. Then @ 1 am( this can sometimes be he's really hungery but mostly just thirsty.) He get's lots of water all day long. Eat solid feeding is pretty hearty too, but that's the way he wants it. I won't tell him no you have had enough. I just watch for cues that he's done. He usually screams num num num until he's done. Should I be worried he's eating to much and not BF enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, that sounds like too many solids and not enough nursing
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I agree with peanutsmommy1...

My son ate like that, but, he didn't have the water and he continued to have like 32oz of formula, as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• You should be nursing him before giving him solids. Nurse THEN offer breakfast. Nurse THEN offer lunch (which should be at 11am and not 1pm) and then put him down for a nap at noon & nurse before the nap. Snack at 3pm and supper at 4:30pm and nurse before supper. Snack at 6pm and nurse at 7pm then bed. Your little one's schedule is off and that is why he is napping and not nursing well. You have his schedule pushed way too late. He should be taking a nap around noon until he's around 3 to 4 years old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• * sorry, meant to say that is why he is NOT napping.
    ThrivingMom

• Uh no, I would say he's fine. If you are truly worried then ask your peds. IF your son is healthy and thriving, then why worry yourself over it!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• This is how his schedule used to be. 2 BF at night one at 12ish and one at 3:30 ish. ( He's been going thru seperation anxiey.(sp)also) Then at 7:20 he'd get up for the day and nurse. 9;30 breakfast, 10 am nurse to sleep, 12 pm wake up and have a snack, 1pm lunch, 2 pm nusre to sleep, 3:30 wake up have a snack, 4 nurse, 5 pm dinner. Then I go to work at 6 pm and Dad takes over. He takes a nap at 7 until bath time at 8 pm, then they play because he won't go to bed until I come home. He nurses at 9:30 until he falls asleep. I used to have an earlier schedule but because I have to work this is what happened. He's always been well above average for his height and weight. At his 9 month chk p before everything changed he was above average for his heightt and averg for weight. The Dr said he's doing very well. A that time he had not been really wanting to eat. Just BF. And had just started to really crawl alot. Now he's working on
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I think this depends on if he is nursing well when you feed him, because if that is the case then I think you just nurse him more often and especially before meals so he fill sup on breast milk first. But if he is not nursing well because he is too busy that is a different story. My DD is very active and on the go and at about 7 months she just lost a lot of interest in nursing. She would nurse ok at night and in the morning when she was tired but other times she would constantly be unlatching and turning her head- basically it was like she didn't have the patience to stop what she was doing long enough to nurse, she was too distracted by all the other goings on. She would take a bottle because she could do that and still be watching the room or even moving around somewhat. So if this is the case maybe try pumping and giving a bottle or even supplement with formula although once you start that you could lose your milk. GL
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• walking and is busy playing all day. My MIL said my husband stop wanting to BF except at night at 9 months. She said he was just to busy and didn't want to. His older sister BF until she was 18 months old
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Mary MV, He won't take bottles and I can pump milk out. My breasts won't let down for the pump. :( I used to give him formula in his cup but he won't take it any longer. The DR said t make sure I was giving him iron fortified stuff and dairy fortified with vitamin D. Since he's dairy senstive I have to give a little dairy at a time and he get soy yogart sommetimes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Too much food. Human milk should be the baby's main source of nutrition until 12 months. It the healthiest thing a baby can have and any food takes the place of human milk. He should only have water by cup with meals. No water at any olter times or by bottle.

He could eat solids while you are gone and ONLY breastfeed when you are home. He needs breastmilk for brain growth, solids aren't good enough. That's why wean don't wean babies at 10 months.

Babies don't self-wean at 10 months. They self-wean at 3 years. If they wean before 2 years it's because of something the mother is doing like giving too much food, not being around, scheduled feeding, cio, ect. Human children's brains are hardwired for breastfeeding and they would not survive if they weaned before 2-3. The biological time to wean is 3-7.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2010